PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – The World of Outlaws is forced to cancel more races thanks to the coronavirus and Denny Hamlin beats Dale Earnhardt Jr. in the eNASCAR iRacing Pro Invitational plus race teams and track giving the kids something to do in Monday’s Racing Notebook.
World of Outlaws Morton Buildings Late Models Cancels Illini 100:
- The World of Outlaws Morton Buildings Late Model Series, together with Illinois’ Farmer City Raceway, is postponing the Illini 100, which was originally scheduled for April 2-4. World of Outlaws and Farmer City Raceway officials plan to reschedule the $15,000-to-win event. The series previously postponed events set for March 27 at Volunteer Speedway in Bulls Gap, TN, and March 28 at Cherokee Speedway in Gaffney, SC. World of Outlaws officials also intend to reschedule those events, as well. Fans with tickets to those three events should continue to hold their tickets until new dates are announced.
Denny Hamlin Beats Dale Earnhardt Jr. In eNASCAR iRacing Pro Invitational:
- Denny Hamlin edged Dale Earnhardt Jr. in the inaugural eNASCAR iRacing Pro Invitational at virtual Homestead Miami Speedway on Sunday. Timmy Hill, Chase Briscoe and Garrett Smithley rounded out the Top 5. 25 NASCAR Cup Series drivers took part in the virtual race with the remainder of the field made up of NASCAR Xfinity and NASCAR Gander Outdoors & RV Truck Series drivers making up the rest of the field.
Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing Has More Coloring Projects For The Kids:
- Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing is continuing an effort to keep the kids busy by coloring race cars. Last week Team Rahal tweeted out pictures of Graham Rahal and Takuma Sato’s Honda IndyCars. This week it’s the teams Sports Car program that kids of all ages get a chance to color. Who wouldn’t want to color a BMW M8 GTE.
It’s a new week & we have another fun project lined up.
The Ultimate Driving Machine. The ultimate machine to color? Yes and yes.
Download this page of our BMW M8 GTE from our website & let us see your artwork. 🖍
— Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing (@RLLracing) March 23, 2020
Pocono Raceway Asks Fans To Color “Tricky’s” Firesuit:
- Pocono Raceway is getting in on the coloring fun for the kids by asking fans to color “Tricky’s” fire suit. Fans are being asked to reply to the raceway with their creations. The “Tricky Triangle” is gearing up for the first NASCAR Doubleheader Weekend, which features 5-races in 4-days running June 25-28, 2020.
Color Tricky! 🎨🦊
Now is your chance to color Tricky's racing suit however you want! Have some fun & show us what you come up with!
Check out some other coloring page options + more fun and games, here: https://t.co/Pky4dE9bSD
Be sure to tag us when sharing your designs! pic.twitter.com/1FfgqFcybq
— Pocono Raceway (@PoconoRaceway) March 23, 2020
Racing Notebook: Cole Pearn Joins Ed Carpenter Racing; Paul Tracy Joins SRX and Road To Indy At Mid-Ohio
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – The Pittsburgh Racing Now Notebook has news about Engineer Cole Pearn joining Ed Carpenter Racing for the Indy 500 plus Paul Tracy joins SRX Racing.
Cole Pearn Joins Ed Carpenter Racing For The Indy 500:
- Championship-winning Crew Chief Cole Pearn is joining Ed Carpenter Racing for the Indianapolis 500. Pearn will serve as the lead engineer for Conor Daly. Daly will compete in ECR’s third entry, the No. 47 U.S. Air Force Chevrolet. Pearn and driver Martin Truex Jr captured the NASCAR Cup Series title in 2017 with Furniture Row Racing. Pearn left full-time NASCAR competition at the close of the 2019 season, returning to his home country of Canada with his wife Carrie and their two young children. The couple now own and operate Golden Alpine Holidays, which includes four backcountry lodges in British Columbia.
Paul Tracy and Tony Kanaan Join SRX Racing Series:
- Paul Tracy and Tony Kanaan are signed on as drivers in the Superstar Racing Experience, the new series founded by Tony Stewart and Ray Evernham. Tracy joins Tony Stewart and Tony Kanaan as the third confirmed driver for the series that will air Saturday nights in primetime on CBS Television Network in the Summer of 2021.
— paul tracy (@paultracy3) July 29, 2020
Road To Indy Racing At Mid-Ohio:
- Braden Eves from New Albany Ohio too home the victory in the Indy Pro 2000 Championship Presented by Cooper Tires at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Complex. Eves held off Daniel Frost and Parker Thompson, who rounded out the podium. Colin Kaminsky, who is the goaltender for the University of Pittsburgh Hockey Team, finished sixth.
- Christian Rasmussen was victorious Wednesday afternoon in the USF2000 Grand Prix of Mid-Ohio Presented by Cooper Tires Honoring First Responders. Second-generation Brazilian racer Eduardo Barrichello held on for a career-best second-place finish, despite a determined challenge from 15-year-old Floridian Reece Gold who also secured his best result to date for Cape Motorsports.
Racing Notebook – Indy 500 To Run At 25% Capacity; Acura/Penske Ending Partnership and more
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – The Indianapolis 500 is going to be run in front of fans but at 25% of the capacity of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway plus Acura and Team Penske ending their partnership at the conclusion of the 2020 IMSA season, the World of Outlaws visit Lernerville and NASCAR scraps practice and qualifying for the rest of the season.
Indianapolis 500 To Be In Front Of 25% Capacity:
- The Indianapolis Motor Speedway announced on Tuesday that the 104th Running of the Indianapolis 500 will take place Sunday, August 23 in front of approximately 25% of the Speedway’s capacity. Face coverings will be required. Temperature checks will be required for entry. Hand sanitizer will be distributed to all who enter. Concessions will consist mostly of pre-packaged foods and ticket sales will be cut off after July 24.
Acura And Team Penske To End Partnership:
- Acura Motorsports announced on Tuesday that it has come to a mutual agreement with Team Penske to end its successful partnership at the end of the 2020 IMSA Weather Tech SportsCar Championship season. Acura Team Penske captured the Manufacturer, Driver and Team Championship in 2019. The Acura ARX-05 debuted in 2018 and has won 4-races, posted an additional 14-podium finishes and nine pole positions in 22-races.
World of Outlaws At Lernerville:
- The World of Outlaws NOS Energy Drink Sprint Car Series is at Lernerville Speedway for the Don Martin Memorial Silver Cup. David Gravel is the defending race winner. Kyle Larson enters tonight’s race having won 5-straight 410 Sprint Car races. Brad Sweet holds a 2-point lead over Donny Schatz in the points standings.
No Practice Of Qualifying For Remainder Of NASCAR Season:
- NASCAR announced on Tuesday that all three of their national series: Cup, Xfinity and Truck will not have practice or qualifying sessions for the remainder of the season. Scott Miller, NASCAR Senior Vice President of Competition said in a statement “the current format has worked well in addressing several challenges during our return to racing. Most importantly, we have seen competitive racing week-to-week”.
Weekend Racing Preview
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – Plenty of racing action this weekend for all of the gear heads out there. Here’s a look at what is happening both locally and nationally:
Fab 4 Friday At Lernerville:
- All four divisions will be in action tonight at Lernerville Speedway in Sarver. Carl Bowser leads the People’s Natural Gas Sprint Car standings with Brandon Spithaler only 2-points behind. In the Precise Racing Products DIRTcar Late Models Russ King holds a 3-point lead over Matt Lux with Michael Lake 5-points behind. Garrett Krummert leads the Diehl Automotive Big Block Modified standings by 3-points over Dave Murdick. Rex King Jr and Brian Swartzlander are 7-points out of the top spot. In the Millerstown Pic-A-Part DIRTcar/RUSH Pro Stocks Tyler Dietz leads Jason Fosnaught by 4-points. Mike Miller is one point behind Fosnaught and Corey McPherson is 7-points out of the lead.
INDYCAR Doubleheader at Iowa Speedway:
- The NTT INDYCAR SERIES begins a doubleheader at Iowa Speedway Friday night. Chip Ganassi Racing is looking to make it 5-in-a-row after Scott Dixon won the first three races and his teammate Felix Rosenqvist won race 2 at Road America. Andretti Autosport has won six of the last 10 races at Iowa and seven of the 13-races run at the 7/8ths mile oval. Dixon leads the Championship standings by 54-points over Colton Herta. The green flag drops at 9:15 p.m. ET on Friday and at 8:45 p.m. ET on Saturday.
Herb Scott Memorial Saturday at PPMS:
- The 8th Annual Herb Scott Memorial for the Diehl Automotive RUSH Late Model Dirt Series and the RUSH Late Model Touring Series takes place Saturday night at Pittsburgh’s Pennsylvania Motor Speedway. Scott was a 10-time track Champion at Heidelberg Raceway and had over 520-feature wins. Also on the schedule are the RUSH Sportsman Modified Dirt Series, the PPMS Pro Stocks, the Keystone Coach Works Hobby Stocks, the Four Cylinders, and the Young Guns. Gates open at 5 p.m., hot laps begin at 6 p.m., and the racing action will begin at 7 p.m.
5 Divisions of Racing at Jennerstown:
- Five divisions of racing are on tap at Jennerstown Speedway on Saturday. Teddy Gibala leads Barry Awtey by 9-points in the Late Model standings. Anthony Aiello holds a 5-point lead or RJ Dallape in the Modifieds. Casey Fleegle and Aaron VanFleet are tied atop the Street Stocks standings with Mel Wilt 16-points back. In the Fast Fours, Jeff Vasos holds a 2-point lead over Michael Strouse with Paul Koffler III 34-points behind. Dale Kimblerly has built a 31-point lead in the Chargers standings based on the strength of 4-wins. Kyle Burkholder sits in 2nd place, 31-points behind the leader. Hot laps start at 4:30 with Opening Ceremonies at 5:55 p.m.
All Stars Begin Keystone State Weekend:
- The Ollies Bargain Outlet All Star Circuit of Champions presented by Mobil 1 begins a three-race Western Pennsylvania swing this weekend. The action begins Friday night at Williams Grove with the annual Tommy Hinnershitz Memorial Classic. Hinnershitz was a 7-time AAA/USAC Eastern Big Car Champion. The All Stars move to Port Royal on Saturday for The Bob Weikert Memorial Weekend. Two separate $10,000 to win, $700 to start main events.
All Three NASCAR Series At Texas Motor Speedway:
- The top three NASCAR Series are racing at Texas Motor Speedway this weekend. The NASCAR Xfinity Series hits the track first on Saturday with the My Bariatric Solutions 300 at 3 p.m. ET. Saturday night the Gander RV & Outdoors NASCAR Truck Series takes center stage with the Vankor 350 at 8 p.m. ET. The NASCAR Cup Series races on Sunday with the O’Reilly Auto Parts 500 at 3 p.m. ET.