PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – Ratings are in for this past weekend’s iRacing events plus we have a winner in Chip Ganassi Racing’s “Best Ever Paint Scheme” plus COVID-19 affecting events at The Pittsburgh International Race Complex.
iRacing Rating In For This Past Weekend’s Events”
- The O’Reilly Auto Parts 125 eNASCAR iRacing Pro Invitational drew 1.339-million viewers according to Show Buzz Daily, that’s up from just over 900K for the opening virtual race from Homestead-Miami Speedway. The next eNASCAR iRacing Pro Invitational is this Sunday from virtual Bristol Motor Speedway.
Fans Select Winner in Ganassi’s “Best Ever Paint Scheme”:
- Race fans have spoken and a winner has been declared in Chip Ganassi Racing‘s “Best Ever Paint Scheme”. The field of 32-was narrowed down to two paint scheme as fans voted on the team’s Twitter account. The finals came down to Kyle Larson’s Mello Mello throwback versus Jamie McMurray’s Mac Tonight throwback. Here is your winner:
The fans sure seem to ❤️ this one.@KyleLarsonRacin's 2015 Mello Yello Darlington Throwback WINS Best Ever Chip Ganassi Racing Paint-Scheme! 🎨
— Chip Ganassi Racing (@CGRTeams) March 31, 2020
Goodwood Postpones 2020 Festival of Speed:
- Goodwood has decided to postpone the 2020 Festival of Speed originally scheduled for July 9-12. The Duke of Richmond and Gordon released a statement that in-part reads: “Following all that’s happened in the last few weeks and the advice we have received from the UK Government, we have decided to postpone the Festival of Speed presented by Mastercard, to later in the year. Goodwood has always prided itself on delivering the most incredible motorsport experiences and in order to do that customers, drivers, team members, volunteers and staff must be kept safe. We obviously want to be sure of choosing the best possible date; this will require some careful consideration and as soon as we have that we will let you know”.
More Pittsburgh International Race Complex Cancellations:
- The extension of the stay-at-home order is forcing the Pittsburgh International Race Complex to make some schedule changes. The American Endurance Racing events schedule for April 3-5 have been postponed. The Karting Egg Hunt scheduled for April 11th has been canceled. The Pitt-Race Test and Tune scheduled for April 17 has been postponed. The LeMons Pitt Maneuver scheduled for April 18-19 has been postponed and the N2 Track Days scheduled for April 25-26 have been postponed as well. For more information on these events as well as all the other events at the track, visit www.pittrace.com.
Racing Notebook: Pocono NASCAR Weekend approaching; INDYCAR in Toronto; PVGP hits the track and more
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – The Pittsburgh Racing Now Racing Notebook is jam-packed with NASCAR, INDYCAR, and Vintage racing news:
Limited Tickets Remain for Pocono NASCAR Weekend:
- Pocono Raceway’s NASCAR weekend is a little over a week away and if you want to go, get your tickets now! Pocono announced on Thursday that a limited number of grandstand seats are the only options remaining for the marquee M&M’S® Fan Appreciation 400 NASCAR Cup Series race next Sunday, July 24. The remaining grandstand seats for the Cup Series race are at three price points ($45, $80 and $95) and scattered throughout the various sections of the main grandstand. The only RV camping option currently available is general admission for $250, which includes two guest passes and free admission for up to 4 children 12 and under. To purchase tickets or learn more, please visit poconoraceway.com or call 800-722-3929.
INDYCAR Returns To Toronto:
- The NTT INDYCAR SERIES returns to the Streets of Toronto for this weekend’s Honda Indy Toronto. All eyes will be on Defending Series Champion Alex Palou, driver of the No. 10 NTT DATA Chip Ganassi Racing Honda. CGR announced on Tuesday afternoon they were exercising their option on Palou for 2023, only to have Palou announce on Social Media later that evening that he was not returning. Moments after Palou’s announcement, McLaren Racing announced they signed Palou for 2023. CGR has won seven times at Toronto, the most recent being Scott Dixon in 2018. Andretti Autosports Alexander Rossi was fastest in the first practice on Friday. A second practice session takes place Saturday morning with three rounds of knockout-style qualifying taking place Saturday afternoon. The race is Sunday at 3 p.m.
Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix at Pitt Race:
- The Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix hits the Pittsburgh International Race Complex in Wampum this weekend in a tune-up for next weekend’s race on the streets of Schenley Park. Since 2004, racers from all over the country have come to the 2.8-mile purpose-built track 40 miles northwest of Pittsburgh for fierce competition. The ‘Black Tie and Tailpipes Gala’ took place last night at The Grand Concourse at Station Square. For more information visit pvgp.org.
Racing Notebook: O’Ward on Mid-Ohio INDYCAR pole; Blomqvist on CTMP IMSA pole and more
Sunday’s Racing Notebook has the lineups for the NTT INDYCAR SERIES race at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Complex, IMSA’s race at the Canadian Tire Motorsports Park plus NASCAR at Road America and SRX at Stafford.
O’Ward Wins INDYCAR Mid-Ohio Pole:
- Arrow McLaren SP’s Patricio O’Ward is on the pole position for Sunday’s NTT INDYCAR SERIES race at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Complex. O’Ward’s fast lap of of 1 minute, 6.7054 seconds in the No. 5 Chevrolet edged Team Penske’s Scott McLaughlin, who will start second after a fast lap of 1:06.8382 in the No. 3 Chevrolet. Andretti Autosport’s Colton Herta will start third (1:07.0262) with O’Ward’s teammate Felix Rosenqvist alongside in fourth (1:07.2163). Scott Dixon led Chip Ganassi Racing with a fast lap of 1:07.4047 in the No. 9 PNC Bank Honda. Dixon’s CGR teammates Alex Palou starts seventh, Indy 500 winner Marcus Ericsson starts 13th and Jimmie Johnson starts 27th. IndyCar Mid Ohio Lineup
Blomqvist Puts Acura on CTMP IMSA Pole:
- Tom Blomqvist set an IMSA record in the No. 60 Acura around the iconic 2.459-mile, 10-corner Canadian Tire Motorsports Park road course in 1 minute, 4.394 seconds for an average speed of 137.472 mph. The fastest previous lap, ironically, was set by Blomqvist’s current teammate Oliver Jarvis in 2019 at Daytona International Speedway (136.792 mph). Ricky Taylor and Filipe Albuquerque will start second in the No. 10 Acura. The JDC Miller Cadillac lines up third followed by the No. 02 Chip Ganassi Racing Cadillac. The No. 01 CGR Caddy will start sixth. IMSA CTMP Lineup
Elliott On NASCAR Cup Series Road America Pole:
- Hendrick Motorsports Chase Elliott is on the NASCAR Cup Series pole position for Sunday’s road course race at Road America. Elliott’s fast lap of 134.427-seconds (108.407 mph) was a tick faster than Stewart Haas Racing’s Chase Briscoe, who will start second (108.376 mph). Elliott’s HMS teammate Kyle Larson starts third (108.21mph) with Richard Childress Racing’s Tyler Reddick fourth (108.155mph), and Team Penske’s Austin Cindric fifth (108.123mph). Cup Series Road America Lineup
Gibbs Takes Xfinity Win At Road America:
- Joe Gibbs Racing’s Ty Gibbs passed Hendrick Motorsports Kyle Larson on the final lap of NASCAR Overtime to win Saturday’s NASCAR Xfinity Series race at Road America. Larson was leading as he passed under white flag, but Gibbs drafted Larson down the frontstretch, took advantage of an opening to the inside in Turn 3 and powered his No. 54 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota past Larson for the lead and the win.
Newman Bumps Andretti For First SRX Win:
- Ryan Newman used the bump-and-run to pass Marco Andretti for the Superstar Racing Experience (SRX) victory at Stafford Motor Speedway. Andretti held off Paul Tracy for second. Tony Stewart finished fourth and Bobby Labonte rounded out the Top 5. Ryan Hunter-Reay won Heat 1 and Labonte won Heat 2. Next up for the Camping World SRX Series is the Nashville Fairgrounds on Saturday, July 9.
Racing Notebook: Rossi on INDYCAR pole; Larson on Cup pole; Busch wins Truck Race
Sunday’s Racing Notebook has details on the starting lineups for the NTT INDYCAR SERIES race at Road America and the NASCAR Cup Series race at Sonoma as well as Kyle Busch winning another truck series race>
Rossi on INDYCAR Series Pole:
- Andretti Autosports Alexander Rossi earned his first NTT INDYCAR SERIES pole position in three years by beating Team Penske’s Josef Newgarden in knockout-style qualifying for Sunday’s race at Road America. Rossi’s fast lap of 1 minute, 44.8656 seconds edged Newgarden’s 1:44.9371 in the No. 2 PPG Chevrolet. Defending series champion Alex Palou, who led the final warmup session on Saturday afternoon, qualified third at 1:45.3822 in the No. 10 American Legion Chip Ganassi Racing Honda. Teammate and 2022 Indianapolis 500 winner Marcus Ericsson joins Palou in the second row after his best lap of 1:45.4240 in the No. 8 Huski Chocolate Chip Ganassi Racing Honda. Road America INDYCAR Lineup
Larson Leads Hendrick Cup Series Front Row:
- Hendrick Motorsports Kyle Larson is on the pole position for Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series race at Sonoma. Larson’s fast lap of 92.111 mph (1m70.776s) edged teammate Chase Elliott’s 92.083 mph in the No. 9 NAPA Chevrolet. Roush Fenway Keselowski Racing’s Chris Buescher qualified third at 91.919 mph after missing last week’s race due to Covid-19. Michael McDowell starts fourth after posting a fast lap of 91.916. Sonoma Cup Lineup
Kyle Busch Wins Truck Series Race:
- Kyle Busch held off Zane Smith to earn his first NASCAR Camping World Truck Series victory of the year Saturday at Sonoma. The win extended his record career total to 62 series victories and a streak of 10 consecutive years with at least one series win. Busch led 45 of the 75 laps in the victory. Wexford’s Kris Wright finished 26th in the No. 44 FNB Chevrolet after starting 30th in his first race at Sonoma. Sonoma Truck Results