PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – Ratings are in for this past weekend’s iRacing events plus we have a winner in Chip Ganassi Racing’s “Best Ever Paint Scheme” plus COVID-19 affecting events at The Pittsburgh International Race Complex.
iRacing Rating In For This Past Weekend’s Events”
- The O’Reilly Auto Parts 125 eNASCAR iRacing Pro Invitational drew 1.339-million viewers according to Show Buzz Daily, that’s up from just over 900K for the opening virtual race from Homestead-Miami Speedway. The next eNASCAR iRacing Pro Invitational is this Sunday from virtual Bristol Motor Speedway.
Fans Select Winner in Ganassi’s “Best Ever Paint Scheme”:
- Race fans have spoken and a winner has been declared in Chip Ganassi Racing‘s “Best Ever Paint Scheme”. The field of 32-was narrowed down to two paint scheme as fans voted on the team’s Twitter account. The finals came down to Kyle Larson’s Mello Mello throwback versus Jamie McMurray’s Mac Tonight throwback. Here is your winner:
The fans sure seem to ❤️ this one.@KyleLarsonRacin's 2015 Mello Yello Darlington Throwback WINS Best Ever Chip Ganassi Racing Paint-Scheme! 🎨
— Chip Ganassi Racing (@CGRTeams) March 31, 2020
Goodwood Postpones 2020 Festival of Speed:
- Goodwood has decided to postpone the 2020 Festival of Speed originally scheduled for July 9-12. The Duke of Richmond and Gordon released a statement that in-part reads: “Following all that’s happened in the last few weeks and the advice we have received from the UK Government, we have decided to postpone the Festival of Speed presented by Mastercard, to later in the year. Goodwood has always prided itself on delivering the most incredible motorsport experiences and in order to do that customers, drivers, team members, volunteers and staff must be kept safe. We obviously want to be sure of choosing the best possible date; this will require some careful consideration and as soon as we have that we will let you know”.
More Pittsburgh International Race Complex Cancellations:
- The extension of the stay-at-home order is forcing the Pittsburgh International Race Complex to make some schedule changes. The American Endurance Racing events schedule for April 3-5 have been postponed. The Karting Egg Hunt scheduled for April 11th has been canceled. The Pitt-Race Test and Tune scheduled for April 17 has been postponed. The LeMons Pitt Maneuver scheduled for April 18-19 has been postponed and the N2 Track Days scheduled for April 25-26 have been postponed as well. For more information on these events as well as all the other events at the track, visit www.pittrace.com.
Racing Notebook: Pocono Camping Sold Out; Firecracker 100 weekend starts Thursday and more!
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – The latest edition of the Pittsburgh Racing Now Notebook is getting you ready for a busy weekend of racing in the Keystone State with NASCAR out East and the World of Outlaws Late Models at Lernerville. Plus the NTT INDYCAR SERIES makes a schedule adjustment.
Pocono Camping Sold Out:
- Pocono Raceway has sold out all available camping for this weekend’s NASCAR Doubleheader at ‘The Tricky Triangle’. Pocono started the week on Monday with only 71-sites available but those quickly sold out. The action gets started Friday with the ARCA Menards Series General Tire #AnywhereIsPossible 200. On Saturday it’s the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series CRC Brakleen 150 and the NASCAR Cup Series Pocono Organics CBD 325. Sunday features the NASCAR Xfinity Series Pocono Green 225 presented by J.P. Mascaro & Sons and the NASCAR Cup Series Explore the Pocono Mountains 350. Tickets are available at www.poconoraceway.com.
Pocono Organics CBD To Sponsor Cup Race:
- Pocono Organics, one of the largest Regenerative Organic Farms in North America, will sponsor the NASCAR Cup Series race at Pocono Raceway on Saturday, June 26. Pocono Organics will highlight their line of USDA Certified Organic, Full-Spectrum Hemp CBD products with the Pocono Organics CBD 325. The Pocono Organics CBD 325 is part of the 2021 NASCAR Doubleheader at ‘The Tricky Triangle’ featuring five NASCAR & ARCA Races in three days, including two NASCAR Cup Series races taking place on back-to-back days, from June 25-27.
Tickets On Sale For Grand Prix of Portland:
- Ticket sales are open for the NTT INDYCAR SERIES Grand Prix of Portland. After missing their visit last year due to the global pandemic, the stars and cars of the Indianapolis 500 are coming back to Portland International Raceway for the first of three stops on its west coast swing to end the 2021 season September 10-12, 2021. Pricing starts at $85 for Bronze-level 3-Day Grandstand seating, $105 for Silver, and $165 for Gold which includes a Paddock Pass. General Admission for the entire three-day weekend is $65. Single-Day tickets will be released for sale in July. Tickets are available at portlandgp.com.
INDYCAR Will Not Replace Toronto:
- The NTT INDYCAR SERIES will not replace this year’s race on the street of Toronto with another race on the schedule. Toronto had to be cancelled for the second year in-a-row due to the global pandemic. Options to replace the race with one at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway or maybe turning the Mid-Ohio weekend into a doubleheader were considered but the timing of the cancellation failed to give promoters enough time to secure sponsorship to host an additional race.
Firecracker 100 Weekend Begins Thursday:
- The World of Outlaws Late Model Series rolls into Lernerville Speedway this weekend for the legendary ‘Firecracker 100’. The Racing starts Thursday night with the $6,000-to-win Firecracker 100 qualifier along with the RUSH Late Model Series preliminaries for the Bill Emig Memorial and continues on Friday with another WoO qualifier and more prelims for RUSH LMS. Saturday is the 15th Annual Firecracker 100 for the WoO and the Bill Emig Memorial for the RUSH LMS. Tickets and information is available at www.lernerville.com.
Points Battles Continue Sunday At Tri-City:
- As the racing season nears the halfway mark, four familiar names appear at the top of the point standings at Tri-City Raceway Park. In the Shawgo Real Estate LLC 410 Sprint division, defending champion Jack Sodeman, Jr. leads the standings on the strength of multiple feature wins. Jeremiah Shingledecker, the leading winner in the Krill Recycling 358 Modifieds, leads the way with 406 points. The closest battle for supremacy is in the Hovis Truck & Auto Supply Pro Stock class. William Hurrelbrink’s consistency has him in control, with 296 points, even though he has yet to take a checkered flag. Dalton Speer, with multiple wins in the 4 Your Car Connection Mini Stocks, leads with 408 points, the highest tally of any driver in any division. The action will start at 6 p.m. on Sunday evening. Gates will open at 4 for the fans and 2 for the racers. Tickets are available at Tri-CityRacewayPark.com.
Racing Notebook: Carb Day delayed by rain; NASCAR At Charlotte; Extreme E At Ocean Prix and more
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – The latest edition of The Pittsburgh Racing Now Notebook is waiting out the rain at the NTT INDYCAR SERIES Carb Day; NASCAR gets to actually qualify for two weeks in-a-row; Chase Elliott will be without his spotter this weekend after NASCAR announces a suspension; Extreme E readies for race No. 2 and Tri-City Raceway Park gears up for sprint cars this Sunday.
Carb Day Delayed By Rain:
- The final practice for the NTT INDYCAR SERIES 105th running of the Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge has been delayed by rain. The two-hour ‘Carb Day’ session was supposed to run from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. but lingering precipitation is preventing the cars from getting out on the track. Officials from INDYCAR are hoping to get a window to allow teams to run this afternoon, even if it is an abbreviated session.
NASCAR To Use Qualifications At Charlotte:
- NASCAR teams will get to actually qualify this weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway. NASCAR has been using a ‘performance matrix’ to determine starting lineups during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Last weekend at Circuit of the Americas teams were allowed to qualify since it was the sanctioning bodies first visit to the facility. The Camping World Truck Series will qualify Friday night while the Xfinity Series and Cup Series will qualify on Saturday.
Elliott Spotter D’Hondt Suspended:
- NASCAR and Hendrick Motorsports has indefinitely suspended Eddie D’Hondt, the spotter for the No. 9 Chevrolet of Chase Elliott, for two violations: Member Conduct Guidelines and Required Notice. D’Hondt was charged May 12 with two misdemeanor charges of assaulting a woman and battery of an unborn child. The charges are related to a September 2020 incident at a retail store. D’Hondt failed to notify NASCAR of the arrest. D’Hondt’s attorney denied the charges to Fox Sports.
Extreme E Readies For Ocean Prix:
- Extreme E, the electric off-road racing series, is racing this weekend on the West African Senegalese coast for its Ocean X Prix at Lac Rose, Dakar, Senegal, May 29-30. The shores of Lac Rose hosted the finish of the world’s most famous cross-country rally – the Paris-Dakar – on numerous occasions between 1979 and 2007. Drivers will once again face a mostly sandy terrain as the race will take to the existing tracks surrounding the lake, named after, and renowned for its striking pink colour, caused by algae that thrives within its highly-saline waters. Rosberg X Racing (RXR) took victory in the inaugural X Prix last month in the Saudi Arabian deserts.
Tri-City Raceway Park Hosting Sprints On Sunday:
- The four divisions making up the ‘Sunday Thunder’ racing program will return to Tri-City Raceway Park this Sunday, May 30. 410 Sprint Cars, 358 Modifieds, Pro Stocks and Mini Stocks will all be in action. Information regarding Tri-City Raceway Park can be reached by calling the track office, at 724-967-4601, or via e-mail at email@example.com. You can also check out the website at www.Tri-CityRacewayPark.com,
Racing Notebook: Sato Receives ‘Baby Borg’; Andretti Signs Wheldon Brothers; Road To Indy Recaps and much more
ST. PETERSBURG, FL (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – Plenty of news throughout the paddock at this past weekend’s Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg including Takuma Sato being awarded a miniature version of the Borg Warner Trophy for his Indianapolis 500 win in 2020 plus Andretti Autosport signs Sebastian and Oliver Wheldon to development deals and the entire ‘Road To Indy’ results from this past weekend.
Takuma Sato Receives ‘Baby Borg’ For Indy 500 Win:
- 2020 Indianapolis 500 winner Takuma Sato and Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing owners Bobby Rahal, David Letterman and Mike Lanigan received miniature versions of the Borg Warner Trophy on Friday in commemoration of Sato’s 2nd Indianapolis 500 victory last year.
Will Power Signs Contract Extension:
- Will Power is staying at Team Penske for the foreseeable future. Power signed a contract extension with the team but the length and terms were not announced. Power is the longest-tenured driver with Penske, winning the Championship in 2014 and the Indianapolis 500 in 2018. Power is second among active INDYCAR drivers in wins with 39, trailing only 6-time and reigning Champion Scott Dixon’s 50.
Andretti Autosports Signs Sebastian And Oliver Wheldon:
- Andretti Autosport is looking towards the future after signing Sebastian and Oliver Wheldon, sons of the late 2-time Indy 500 winner Dan Wheldon, as junior drivers. The Andretti team will mentor the Wheldon brothers as they compete with JC Karting in three different series: Rok Cup USA, Super Karts USA and United States Pro Kart Series.
Kyle Kirkwood Wins Saturday’s Indy Lights Race:
- Kyle Kirkwood beat his Andretti Autosport teammate Danial Frost by 1.3-seconds to win the first of two Indy Lights races on the Streets of St. Petersburg. Frost crossed the finish line 1-second ahead of third place David Malukas. Andretti Autosport just missed out on a podium sweep as Robert Meginnis finished fourth. Indy Light Race 1 Results
David Malukas Wins Sunday’s Indy Lights Race:
- David Malukas beat Kyle Kirkwood by 0.6829 of a second to win Sunday’s Indy Lights Grand Prix of St. Petersburg Presented by Andersen Interior Contracting. The second win of the season for Malukas was enough to move the rising star from HMD Motorsports into a slender three-point championship lead ahead of Global Racing Group with HMD Motorsports stablemate Linus Lundqvist, from Sweden, who finished third. Indy Lights Sunday Results
Braden Eves Wins Saturday’s Indy Pro 2000 Race:
- Braden Eves led from flag-to-flag to win Saturday’s opening leg of the Indy Pro 2000 Grand Prix of St. Petersburg Presented by Cooper Tires. The 21-year-old from New Albany, Ohio, held off s stiff challenge Denmark’s Christian Rasmussen. Pabst Racing’s Hunter McElrea, from New Zealand, finished third. University of Pittsburgh student Colin Kaminsky started ninth and finished ninth. Indy Pro 2000 Race 1 Results
Christian Rasmussen Sunday’s Indy Pro 2000 Race:
- Christian Rasmussen picked up his first Indy Pro 2000 Championship Presented by Cooper Tires victory Sunday morning on the streets of St. Petersburg. The Jay Howard Driver Development wheelman has been knocking on the door of Victory Lane in each of the opening three races of the season. The Juncos Racing duo of Manuel Sulaiman and Reece Gold finished 2nd and 3rd respectively. Pabst Racing’s Hunter McElrea and Colin Kaminsky rounded out the top 5. Indy Pro 2000 Race 2 Results
Christian Brooks Wins Both USF 2000 Races:
- Exclusive Autosports Christian Brooks enjoyed a near perfect weekend on the streets of St. Petersburg. The Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship sophomore claimed a pair of victories today on the unforgiving 1.8-mile street circuit, elevating himself from fifth in the points.