PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – Ratings are in for this past weekend’s iRacing events plus we have a winner in Chip Ganassi Racing’s “Best Ever Paint Scheme” plus COVID-19 affecting events at The Pittsburgh International Race Complex.
iRacing Rating In For This Past Weekend’s Events”
- The O’Reilly Auto Parts 125 eNASCAR iRacing Pro Invitational drew 1.339-million viewers according to Show Buzz Daily, that’s up from just over 900K for the opening virtual race from Homestead-Miami Speedway. The next eNASCAR iRacing Pro Invitational is this Sunday from virtual Bristol Motor Speedway.
Fans Select Winner in Ganassi’s “Best Ever Paint Scheme”:
- Race fans have spoken and a winner has been declared in Chip Ganassi Racing‘s “Best Ever Paint Scheme”. The field of 32-was narrowed down to two paint scheme as fans voted on the team’s Twitter account. The finals came down to Kyle Larson’s Mello Mello throwback versus Jamie McMurray’s Mac Tonight throwback. Here is your winner:
The fans sure seem to ❤️ this one.@KyleLarsonRacin's 2015 Mello Yello Darlington Throwback WINS Best Ever Chip Ganassi Racing Paint-Scheme! 🎨
— Chip Ganassi Racing (@CGRTeams) March 31, 2020
Goodwood Postpones 2020 Festival of Speed:
- Goodwood has decided to postpone the 2020 Festival of Speed originally scheduled for July 9-12. The Duke of Richmond and Gordon released a statement that in-part reads: “Following all that’s happened in the last few weeks and the advice we have received from the UK Government, we have decided to postpone the Festival of Speed presented by Mastercard, to later in the year. Goodwood has always prided itself on delivering the most incredible motorsport experiences and in order to do that customers, drivers, team members, volunteers and staff must be kept safe. We obviously want to be sure of choosing the best possible date; this will require some careful consideration and as soon as we have that we will let you know”.
More Pittsburgh International Race Complex Cancellations:
- The extension of the stay-at-home order is forcing the Pittsburgh International Race Complex to make some schedule changes. The American Endurance Racing events schedule for April 3-5 have been postponed. The Karting Egg Hunt scheduled for April 11th has been canceled. The Pitt-Race Test and Tune scheduled for April 17 has been postponed. The LeMons Pitt Maneuver scheduled for April 18-19 has been postponed and the N2 Track Days scheduled for April 25-26 have been postponed as well. For more information on these events as well as all the other events at the track, visit www.pittrace.com.
Racing Notebook – Friday, May 8: Lernerville Postpones Opening Night again, plus PA Red-Flags Selinsgrove and more.
SARVER, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – Lernerville Speedway has canceled their season opener…again and Selinsgrove Speedway’s hope to reopen gets the red flag from Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf’s “Stay-at-home” order plus the World of Outlaws gets ready for some invitation-only fun in Knoxville.
Lernerville Postpones Opening Night…..again:
- Lernerville Speedway has postponed opening night, again, due to COVID-19. The original opening night of April 24th was pushed back to May 8, but Butler County was not on Governor Wolf’s initial list of counties scheduled to “reopen” under the State’s “Yellow” designation and series of protocols. Lernerville remains committed to starting the 2020 season as soon as the Governor reopens the County and allows the track to safely provide for the drivers, teams and track employees. Opening night at Lernerville could take place as early as Friday, May 15. The Tomson family and Phil DiLucente are deferring “Pad the Purse” monies from April 24 and May 8 to special Fab4 events on the 2020 schedule including Opening Night, the Mid-Season Championships, Christmas in July and Championship Night.
Selinsgrove Speedway Shown The Red Flag:
- Selinsgrove Speedway’s hope to re-open this weekend was quashed by Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf’s office. The track went about their business about hosting an event without fans but even that caught the attention of Harrisburg. Here’s what the tracks Twitter account had to say Friday afternoon.
The Posse Unleashed race this weekend has been cancelled, per an order from the Office of the Governor. We are tentatively rescheduling for May 16 as State officials are working on our behalf to get the order reversed! Thank you for your support and understanding!
— Selinsgrove Speedway (@RaceSelinsgrove) May 8, 2020
World of Outlaws Sprint Cars Roll Into Knoxville:
- The World of Outlaws NOS Energy Drink Sprint Car Series rolled into Knoxville this afternoon for the World of Outlaws’ official “Return to Racing” with a “Behind Closed Doors” event at the “Sprint Car Capital of the World.” The $10,000-to-win Invitational presented by McKay Insurance will see 48 of the most elite Sprint Car drivers in the world, including reigning Series champion Brad Sweet, 10-time Series champion Donny Schatz, 2019 Knoxville Nationals winner David Gravel as well as team owners Kyle Larson and Kasey Kahne.
Racing Notebook – Tuesday, May 5: All Stars Postpone More Races Due To COVID-19
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – The Ollies Bargain Outlet All Star Circuit of Champions postpones more events due to COVID-19 plus the Tire Rack Road-to-Indy iRacing Series starts tomorrow and more in Tuesday’s Racing Notebook.
All Stars Postpone Indiana and Michigan Events:
- The Ollies Bargain Outlet All Star Circuit of Champions Presented by Mobil 1 are postponing event in Indiana and Michigan because of COVID-19. Visits to I-96 Speedway, Gas City Speedway and Kokomo Speedway scheduled for May 15-17 have been postponed. Series and track officials are working together to find suitable make-up dates. All Star and track officials will continue to monitor the federal and state recommendations surrounding the phased reopening of the economy.
Tire Rack Road to Indy iRacing eSeries Starts Tomorrow:
- The Tire Rack Road to Indy iRacing eSeries kicks off tomorrow at virtual World Wide Technology Raceway at Gateway. A pair of 20-minute races at the unique, egg-shaped 1.25-mile oval will form the first of five events to comprise the TireRack.com Road to Indy iRacing eSeries Presented by Cooper Tires. The green flag for Race One will fly at 7:00 pm EDT. The new title-chase will feature a mix of ovals and road courses. Each event will include a pair of sprint races, once again employing identically set-up Pro Mazda cars. The grid for Race One will be established during a brief qualifying session, with only the fastest 28 cars making the cut, while the top 10 race finishers will then be reversed prior to the start of Race Two.
Gordon Grabs World of Outlaws Volusia iRacing Victory:
- Corey Gordon held on to grab the checkered flag in the World of Outlaws Morton Buildings Late Models iRacing event from virtual Volusia Speedway Park. The victory was Gordon’s third of the series. Ashton Winger grabbed second place from Nick Stroupe, who came home third. The iRacing action continues Tuesday night at 8 p.m. ET on CBS Sports Network with the “World of Outlaws: eDirt Racing Shootout” featuring the World of Outlaws Morton Buildings Late Models and the World of Outlaws NOS Energy Drink Sprint Cars in another doubleheader hour of power at virtual Volusia Speedway Park.
Racing Notebook – Friday, May 1: INDYCAR Gets Ready For Final iRacing Event plus Extreme E Update
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – The INDYCAR iRacing Challenge wraps up this weekend at the virtual Indianapolis Motor Speedway plus Extreme E takes the lead on gender equality in motorsports and
Final INDYCAR iRacing Event Saturday At IMS:
- The final INDYCAR iRacing Challenge series takes place on Saturday at the virtual Indianapolis Motor Speedway. 33-drivers will take to the track in the 70-lap event including eight Indianapolis 500 winners: Scott Dixon, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Simon Pagenaud, Will Power, Tony Kanaan, Alexander Rossi, Helio Castroneves and Takuma Sato. Three of the drivers in the 33-car field have not started an event on the real Indianapolis Motor Speedway oval: Virgin Australia Supercar champion Scott McLaughlin, Formula One standout Lando Norris (last week’s winner at Circuit of the Americas) and NTT INDYCAR SERIES rookie Alex Palou. The Indianapolis Fire Department’s Voices of IFD will sing the National Anthem and New York City first responders will give the command to start the engines at 2:30 p.m. ET. The event will be televised by NBCSN.
Extreme E Promoting Gender Equality:
- The electric off-road racing series Extreme E will see teams field both a male and female driver in its races – promoting gender equality and a level playing field amongst competitors. Teams will be composed of a male and a female driver, competing together in every two-lap race as driver and co-driver. Each will complete one lap behind the wheel of the ODYSSEY 21 electric-SUV, with a changeover incorporated into the race format. Extreme E drivers will compete wheel-to-wheel on the same stages, in the same 550 horsepower E-SUVs, using the same bespoke all-terrain Continental tires in heats, semis and finals, taking place across the series’ five formidable environments in some of the most remote regions on the planet.