PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – Monday’s Pittsburgh Racing Now Notebook includes a way for NASCAR fans to get a discount at Pocono Raceway plus DIRTvision to carry Attica Raceway Park weekly shows and more.
Pocono Raceway Offers Limited-Time Discount To NASCAR Doubleheader Week:
- Pocono Raceway is giving fans a way to save money if they want to go to the historic NASCAR Doubleheader this June at “The Tricky Triangle”. Pocono is offering a 35-hour ticket discount on 100-Level Saturday and Sunday Grandstand tickets. The 35-hour discount is in honor of Pocono Raceway’s 25-acre, three-megawatt solar farm producing 35-Million kilowatt hours (kWh). That’s enough electricity to power the needs of the track AND 300-local homes and business. To take advantage of the offer fans must visit www.poconoraceway.com/promocode and enter the promo code SOLAR.
DIRTvision To Broadcast “Ohio’s Finest” Weekly Events In 2020:
- DIRTVision and Attica Raceway Park announced today a broadcast partnership establishing DIRTVision as the exclusive broadcast platform for Attica Raceway Park’s full regular-season schedule of events headlined by the Attica Fremont Championship Series (AFCS) 410 Sprint Cars and high-powered DIRTcar Late Models. DIRTVision will kick off the 2020 Attica Raceway Park schedule on Friday, March 20 with the Construction Equipment & Supply / Bucyrus Road Materials Season Opener featuring 410 Sprints, DIRTcar Late Models and 305 Sprints.
Racing Notebook: Power on INDYCAR GMR Pole; Acura’s quickest at Mid-Ohio and Lernerville winners
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – Team Penske’s Will Power wins the pole position for Saturday’s NTT INDYCAR SERIES GMR Grand Prix at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway plus a pair of Acura’s lead the way at the Lexus Grand Prix at Mid-Ohio and Fab4 Friday action from Lernerville and more.
Power on GMR Grand Prix Pole Position
- Team Penske’s Will Power is on the pole position for Saturday’s NTT INDYCAR SERIES GMR Grand Prix on the road course at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Power’s fast lap of 1 minute, 9.7664 seconds was just enough to edge defending Series Champion Alex Palou of Chip Ganassi Racing. Power’s teammate, two-time series champion Josef Newgarden, will start third after a lap of 1:09.8343. Conor Daly earned his best starting spot of the season by qualifying fourth at 1:09.9063 in the No. 20 BitNile Chevrolet. GMR GP Qualifying
Acura Leads 1st IMSA Practice at Mid-Ohio
- Filipe Albuquerque led an Acura DPi 1-2 after the first practice session at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course on Friday. Tom Blomqvist was second. Earl Bamber was third in the No. 02 Chip Ganassi Racing Cadillac. Pipo Derani was fourth in the Whelen Caddy with Sebastian Bourdais rounding out the top 5 in the No. 01 Chip Ganassi Racing Cadillac. A second practice starts at 9 a.m. ET Saturday on the 2.258-mile, 13-turn road course. Motul Pole Award qualifying streams live on IMSA.com/TVLive at 1:15 p.m. Saturday. The race airs live on USA Network beginning at 2 p.m. Sunday.
Lernerville Friday Results
- ‘Willie & Conda McConnell Memorial’ ULMS Feature $3,500 to-win: 1. 22-Gregg Satterlee; 2. 44H-Dave Hess; 3. 1*-Chub Frank; Peoples Natural Gas Feature: 1. 42-Sye Lynch; 2. 2-AJ Flick; 3. 29-Dan Shetler; Diehl Automotive Feature: 1. 61-Dave Murdick; 2. 83-Brian Swartzlander; 3. 11R-Brad Rapp; Millerstown Pic-A-Part Feature: 1. 29-Curtis Bish; 2. 55-Chris Schneider; 3. 45-Todd Weldon;
Racing Notebook: GMR Grand Prix Weekend plus Fab4 and ULMS at Lernerville; Ganassi signs Simpson and more.
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – Fab 4 Racing is back on track Friday night at Lernerville Speedway but they’ll have company, plus Chip Ganassi signs a new development driver as the NTT INDYCAR SERIES hits the road course at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the GMR Grand Prix and more.
GMR Grand Prix practice and qualifying at Indy
- The NTT INDYCAR SERIES hits the road course at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for practice and qualifying for Saturday’s GMR Grand Prix. The 1st practice session runs from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. with a second session from 12:45 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. Knockout-style qualifying takes place starting at 4:00 p.m. Ed Carpenter Racing’s Rinus VeeKay is the defending race winner. Chip Ganassi Racing’s Scott Dixon won the event in 2020.
Fab 4 plus ULMS Friday at Lernerville
- Friday at Lernerville Speedway it’s the ‘Willie & Conda McConnell Memorial’ for the ULMS Late Models and Fab4 weekly division racing. Gregg Satterlee leads the ULMS points battle followed by Rick Eckert, Tyler Emory, Jared Miley, and Jason Covert. Satterlee won the tours fist event at Williams Grove Speedway while 2021 Lernerville Speedway champion, Colton Flinner picked up the ULMS checkered flag at Port Royal Speedway. Rick Eckert won the series’ third event at Williams Grove Speedway back in March. Precise Late Models point leaders Jared Miley and Michael Norris will lead the Fab4 contingent against the ULMS regulars in their quest for the $3,500 top prize.
Ganassi signs Kyffin Simpson to development deal
- Chip Ganassi Racing (CGR) on Thursday announced an agreement with Indy Lights driver Kyffin Simpson, signing the 17-year-old to a multi-year development deal. Simpson, a Cayman Islands native, is currently the youngest competitor in the Indy Lights Series, and a driver for Honda Performance Development’s Honda Academy. Simpson, who began racing at nine years old in Barbados, is one of the most promising up-and-coming drivers in motorsports. He made his sports car debut at the 24 Hours of Daytona earlier this year, co-driving the No. 66 Acura NSX GT3 Evo22 in the GTD class, and won the 2021 Formula Regional Americas Championship with seven wins and 13 podiums.
NASCAR completes tire test at Pocono
- NASCAR Cup Series drivers Christopher Bell, Daniel Suarez and Aric Almirola completed a successful two-day Goodyear Tire test with the Next Gen Cup Series car on Wednesday at Pocono Raceway. The test was done in preparation for the Pocono 400 Cup Series race set for Sunday, July 24. The July 22-24 race weekend will feature four main events in just three days. The ARCA Menards Series kicks off the weekend with an 80-lap main event Friday at 6:30 p.m. ET. NASCAR’s Camping World Truck Series and Xfinity Series will run a Saturday doubleheader, with the trucks at Noon ET followed by Xfinity at 5 p.m. The day also will include Cup practice and qualifying beginning at 2 p.m. The weekend culminates with the Pocono 400 Cup Series race on Sunday, beginning at 3 p.m.
Racing Notebook: Rinus VeeKay on INDYCAR Pole; Chris Buescher on NASCAR Cup Pole and more!
The Pittsburgh Racing Now Racing Notebook gets you up-to-speed with Saturday’s Qualifying results for the NTT INDYCAR SERIES Honda GP of Alabama at Barber Motorsports Park and the NASCAR Cup Series DuraMAX Drydene 400 plus IndyLights qualifying, IndyPro2000, USF 2000 and NASCAR Xfinity.
Rinus VeeKay wins INDYCAR Barber Pole:
- Ed Carpenter Racing’s Rinus VeeKay is on the pole position for Sunday’s Honda GP of Alabama at Barber Motorsports Park. VeeKay’s fast lap of 1 minute, 6.2507 seconds in the No. 21 SONAX Chevrolet in knockout-style qualifying edged Arrow McLaren SP’s Pato O’Ward for the top spot. O’Ward will join him on the front row after a best lap of 1:06.4003 in the No. 5 Chevrolet. Defending NTT INDYCAR SERIES Champion Alex Palou will start third in the No. 10 American Legion Chip Ganassi Racing Honda. INDYCAR Barber Qualifying
Chris Buescher wins NASCAR Cup Series Dover Pole:
- Roush Fenway Keselowski Racing’s Chris Buescher is on the pole position for Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series DuraMAX Drydene 400 at Dover Motor Speedway. Buescher’s fast lap of 159.207 mph around the concrete Monster Mile was 057-second faster than Denny Hamlin in the No. 11 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota. Hendrick Motorsports teammates Kyle Larson and Chase Elliott make up row two. NASCAR Dover Lineup
Lundqvist wins Indy Lights Barber Pole:
- Linus Lundqvist is on the pole position for Sunday’s Indy Lights Grand Prix of Alabama. Lundqvist’s fast lap of 1 minute, 12.5713 seconds in the No. 26 HMD Motorsports with Dale Coyne Racing car. Lundqvist’s teammate Benjamin Pedersen starts alongside in the No. 24 Global Racing Group with HMD entry at 1:12.5929, just .0216 of a second off Lundqvist’s time. Indy Lights Barber Lineup
Josh Berry takes Xfinity Series Win at Dover:
- JR Motorsports (JRM) Josh Berry held off teammate Justin Allgaier to win Saturday’s NASCAR Xfinity Series A-Game 200 at Dover Motor Speedway. Joe Gibbs Racing’s Ty Gibbs was third followed by JRM drivers Noah Gragson and Sam Mayer. NASCAR Xfinity Dover Results
Reece Gold wins Indy Pro 2000 at Barber:
- Reece Gold of Juncos Hollinger Racing became the third winner in as many rounds of the Indy Pro 2000 Championship Presented by Cooper Tires with a dominant victory Saturday afternoon at Barber Motorsports Park. It was the second career win for the 17-year-old from Miami, Fla. University of Pittsburgh graduate Colin Kaminsky finished second in the No. #27 Slick Locks Tatuus IP-22. “I’m happy to be back up here, it’s been a while. I needed it, the team needed it,” said Kaminsky. Indy Pro 2000 Barber
Myles Rowe snags USF 2000 win at Barber:
- Myles Rowe started on the pole position and brought home his second consecutive USF 2000 victory, taking the checkered flag Saturday at Barber Motorsports Park. Billy Frazer finished second and Michael d’Orlando rounded out the podium. USF 2000 Barber