PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – The latest edition of The Pittsburgh Racing Now Notebook recaps David Gravel’s win at Eldora, IMSA’s trip to Mid-Ohio this weekend, the NASCAR Xfinity Series starting lineup at Las Vegas, the NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series lineup and pilot error cited in Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s 2019 plane crash.
Gravel Wins Governors Reign At Eldora:
- David Gravel held off Kyle Larson to win The Ollies Bargain Outlet All Star Circuit of Champions Governors Reign at Eldora Speedway Wednesday night. Gravel started on the pole position and led all 35-laps but not without a fight from Larson. Larson started 10th and worked his way into the top 5 before the midway point and into second place after a restart following a lap 20 caution. Gravel took off on that restart but Larson kept chiseling away at Gravel’s lead, trying a slide job on the last lap only to lose the drag race to the checkered flag. Gravel took home $52,000 for the win.
Mid-Ohio Preparing For IMSA Weekend:
- The Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course is gearing up for a weekend of sports car racing as the International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) brings four series to the 2.258-mile, 13-turn natural terrain road course. The Acura Sports Car Challenge at Mid-Ohio showcases the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship is Sunday’s headliner. The IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge races on both Saturday and Sunday. The IMSA Prototype Challenge and Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge USA will hold a triple header while the Mazda MX-5 Cup will hold a doubleheader. A limited amount of fans will be permitted to attend but must purchase tickets online at www.midohio.com because tickets will not be sold at the gate.
Chase Briscoe Awarded Xfinity Series Las Vegas Pole:
- Stewart Haas Racing’s Chase Briscoe has been awarded the pole position for Saturday night’s NASCAR Xfinity Series Alsco 300 Playoff opener at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Team Penske’s Austin Cindric will start second. JR Motorsports Justin Allgaier will lineup third with Kaulig Motorsports Ross Chastain starting fourth. The lineup was set by NASCAR’s ‘performance matrix’. Briscoe and Cindric both open the playoffs with 2050 points but Briscoe is first due to a series-high 7-wins. The green flag flies Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. ET. Xfinity Las Vegas Starting Lineup
Brett Moffitt Awarded Las Vegas Truck Series Pole:
- GMS Racing’s Brett Moffitt has been awarded the pole position for Friday night’s NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series World of Westgate 200 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The race is the second of the NASCAR Playoffs for the Truck Series. Moffitt finished second in last weekend’s playoff opener at Bristol Motor Speedway. Moffitt’s GMS Racing teammate Sam Mayer, who is running a part-time schedule won that race. The green flag for the Westgate 200 drops at 9:00 p.m. ET. NASCAR Trucks Las Vegas Lineup
Pilot Error Cited In Dale Earnhardt Jr Plane Accident:
- The National Transportation Safety Board is blaming the pilots for the crash August 2019 crash involving Dale Earnhardt Jr. and his family. Investigators said the probable cause of the incident was decisions by the pilots, including approaching the runway too fast and a failed attempt to abort the landing. The report says the plane bounced four times and “the airplane touched down hard and the right main landing gear then collapsed under the wing.”
Racing Notebook: Denny Hamlin and Martin Truex Jr on Atlanta Front Row; Autotrader extends with Team Penske
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – NASCAR has set the starting positions in the NASCAR Cup, Xfinity and Camping World Truck Series for this weekend’s races at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Autotrader is extending their partnership with Team Penske. The Stadium Super Truck Series is coming back to the Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.
Hamlin And Truex Jr On Atlanta Cup Front Row:
- Joe Gibbs Racing teammates Denny Hamlin and Martin Truex Jr are on the front row for Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series Folds Of Honor QuikTrip 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway. NASCAR sets the starting field using their Metric data formula. Team Penske teammates Joey Logano and Brad Keselowski make up row 2. Hendrick Motorsports teammates Chase Elliott and Kyle Larson make up row 3. There have been five different winners so far in five NASCAR Cup Series races in 2021. Atlanta Cup Starting Lineup
Cindric And Burton On Xfinity Series Front Row:
- Team Penske’s Austin Cindric and Joe Gibbs Racing’s Jeb Burton are on the front row for Saturday’s NASCAR Xfinity Series EchoPark 250 at Atlanta Motor Speedway. AJ Allmendinger and Brandon Brown make up row two followed by Harrison Burton and Justin Allgaier. Atlanta Xfinity Starting Lineup
Nemechek And Busch On Camping World Truck Series Front Row:
- John Hunter Nemechek and his boss/team owner Kyle Busch will start on the front row for Saturday afternoon’s Fr8Auctions 200 NASCAR Camping World trucks series race at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Nemechek beat his boss last weekend at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Level Green PA’s Norm Benning will start 37th. Atlanta Truck Starting Lineup
Autotrader Extends Partership With Team Penske:
- Autotrader is extending their partnership with Team Penske. The partnership renewal includes an increase in races where the Autotrader brand will serve as primary sponsor for the Ford Mustangs driven by both 2012 NASCAR Cup Series Champion Brad Keselowski and 2018 NASCAR Cup Series Champion Joey Logano. Keselowski and Logano will compete in the Autotrader orange and blue colors for a total of six races during the 2021 season, starting this weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway, where Keselowski will race the No. 2 Autotrader Ford.
Racing Notebook: Sheetz Partners With Richmond; Carshop Joins Team Penske; Moose Fraternity Partners With CGR
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – Richmond Raceway and Sheetz are continuing their partnership plus Team Penske announces a new partner as CarShop joins Austin Cindric’s program and Moose Fraternity partners with the No. 42 of Chip Ganassi Racing.
Sheetz Continues Partnership With Richmond Raceway:
- Sheetz and Richmond Raceway are continuing their partnership for the 2021 season. Sheetz is ‘The Official Convenience Store of Richmond Raceway’. In addition to Sheetz becomes the naming rights partner for ‘Richmond Nation’, the official season ticket program of the track. The official name of the season ticket program will now be ‘RICHMOND NATION presented by Sheetz’.
CarShop Partners With Team Penske:
- CarShop, an easy and fun way to buy like-new vehicles in-store or online, will partner with Team Penske’s reigning NASCAR Xfinity Series (NXS) Champion Austin Cindric and the No. 22 Ford Mustang team for the 2021 season. Beginning with this weekend’s NXS race at Phoenix Raceway, CarShop will be featured as the primary sponsor of the No. 22 Ford at several events this season, as Cindric and the team look to defend their series title. CarShop, a wholly owned subsidiary of Penske Automotive Group, offers high-quality used vehicles with upfront, no-haggle pricing and a money-back guarantee.
Moose Fraternity Partnering With Chip Ganassi Racing:
- The Moose Fraternity is partnering with Chip Ganassi Racing and the No. 42 Chevrolet Camaro driven by Ross Chastain. The Partnership includes several primary sponsor races as well as associate races for Moose Fraternity, who began a relationship with Chastain in 2020. Members of the Moose conduct between $50 and $70-million worth of community service annually.
NASCAR Hires Martin As Vice-President:
- NASCAR has named Eric Ryan their Vice President of Communications. In his new role, Ryan will provide leadership across strategic initiatives and day-to-day operations of the sanctioning body’s communications and public relations work. Based out of the company’s headquarters in Daytona Beach, Fla. and will report to Chief Communications & Social Responsibility Officer, Eric Nyquist.
Racing Notebook: Chase Elliott on Pole Position For NASCAR Road Course Race; Sye Lynch Forms New Partnership and more
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – Chase Elliott is on the pole for race number 2 of the NASCAR Cup Series season plus Sye Lynch announces his 2021 plans; A new partnership forms between two former INDYCAR competitors; Weather postpones two World of Outlaws events and more in the latest edition of the Pittsburgh Racing Now Notebook.
Chase Elliott On Daytona Road Course Pole:
- Hendrick Motorsports Chase Elliott will start from the pole position at this Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series road course race at Daytona International Speedway. Daytona 500 winner Michael McDowell will start second. Austin Dillon and Denny Hamlin make up row 2. Chip Ganassi Racing’s Ross Chastain will start 9th in the No. 42 Chevrolet and Kurt Busch will start 17th in the No. 1 Monster Energy Chevrolet. The lineup is set by NASCAR’s Qualifying Metrics. Daytona Road Course Starting Lineup
Sye Lynch Partners With Josh Baughman:
- Third generation Sprint Car driver Sye Lynch is partnering with Baughman Motorsports for the 2021 racing season. Lynch plans to enter around 80-events as part of this partnership with Josh Baughman. Longtime Lynch partner Mosites Motorsports joins new marketing partners Fischer Body Shop of Missouri and Hollywood Blasting and Coating of Odessa, Texas as part of the arrangement.
Michael Andretti and Michel Jourdain Team Up:
- Michael Andretti is teaming up with Michel Jourdain are teaming up to field an entry in the Super Copa Championship. The newly formed Andretti Jourdain Autosport team will be based in Mexico and contest the No. 1 car in the championship’s Touring Car division. This new endeavor marks a seventh motorsport discipline for Andretti Autosport which also competes in the NTT INDYCAR SERIES, Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires, IMSA LMP3 Prototype Challenge, the FIA Formula E Championship, Extreme E and Australian Supercars.
Transcard To Partner With Meyer Shank Racing At Nashville:
- Transcard will partner with Meyer Shank Racing (MSR) and driver Helio Castroneves for the NTT INDYCAR SERIES Music City Grand Prix in Nashville. The inaugural Music City Grand Prix will be the second of six events for Castroneves with MSR. Transcard is a leading global provider of solutions that help businesses, consumers, banks, and financial technology providers accelerate payments and related data. The Music City Grand Prix takes place August 6-8 on the streets of Nashville, TN.
Extreme Winter Weather Postpones WoO Events at Magnolia and The Rev:
- The World of Outlaws NOS Energy Drink Sprint Car Series doubleheader weekend at Magnolia Motor Speedway, in Columbus, MS, and The Rev, in Monroe, LA, initially scheduled for this weekend (Friday, Feb. 19, and Saturday, Feb. 20), have been postponed due to extreme winter weather that is projected to continue throughout the weekend.
This Week on DirtVision:
- The weather in parts of our country are frightful but there is racing action scheduled and DirtVision has it including the Drydene Extreme DIRTcar Series action from Lake View Motor Speedway on Saturday and Cherokee Speedway on Sunday. Click here for the complete DirtVision schedule.