PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – Today’s Racing Notebook includes details on the updated NASCAR schedule, Ohio Speedweek continues plus INDYCAR drivers like what new owner Roger Penske has done with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Jimmie Johnson cleared to drive after COVID-19 and more:
NASCAR Updates Schedule Through Regular Season Finale:
- NASCAR on Wednesday updated their schedule through the regular season finale. The Cup Series will visit Michigan International Speedway August 8-9; Daytona International Speedway August 16 but using the Road Course; Dover August 22-23 and the oval at Daytona on August 29. The Cup Series races this weekend at Kentucky.
NEWS: NASCAR reveals rest of revamped 2020 regular-season schedule.
— NASCAR (@NASCAR) July 8, 2020
Cap Henry Gets 2nd Win Of Ohio Speedweek:
- Cap Henry passed Cole Conley with two laps remaining to win Monday’s Ollie’s Bargain Outlet All-Star Circuit of Champions feature at Wayne County Speedway. The victory was the 2nd for Henry in Ohio’s Sprint Speedweek as he won Friday night at Attica Raceway Park. Ohio Sprint Speedweek continues Wednesday night at Brushcreek Motorsports Complex in Peebles, Ohio.
Jimmie Johnson Cleared To Drive at Kentucky:
- Hendrick Motorsports Jimmie Johnson has been cleared to resume NASCAR Cup Series competition this weekend at Kentucky. Johnson missed this past weekend’s race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway after testing positive for the COVID-19 virus. Johnson passed NASCAR’s requirements in order to return which included two negative COVID-19 tests at least 24 hours apart, an absence of symptoms, and medical clearance from a physician.
INDYCAR Drivers Psyched About Penske’s Changes At IMS:
- NTT INDYCAR SERIES drivers were impressed at how different the Indianapolis Motor Speedway looked when they arrived at the facility for this past weekend’s GMR Grand Prix, the first under new owner Roger Penske. The improvements include a wide concourse between the front stretch grandstands and Georgetown Road; 30-New LED Video Boards; 5G Wireless Connectivity; 3-acres of new sod; 75-metal frame picnic tables; 5-miles of new fencing; 400,000-square feet of new asphalt; 4,000-gallons of paint; 50-renovated concession stands and 225-updated restrooms with new paint, LED Lighting and hand dryers. “Spotless,” said Tony Kanaan, the 2013 Indianapolis 500 winner. “Like his team, his race cars, his trucks. Up to Roger’s standards in every way.”
Kurt Busch to Guest Star on Jay Leno’s Garage:
- Kurt Busch, driver of the No. 1 Monster Energy/Gearwrench Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet Camaro will be one of the featured guests in tonight’s season finale of “Jay Leno’s Garage”. Busch took to his Twitter account to share the news and a sneak peek.
Tonight, 10P ET, check it out!! https://t.co/1b4V4kllQO
— Kurt Busch (@KurtBusch) July 8, 2020
Racing Notebook: Denny Hamlin and Martin Truex Jr on Atlanta Front Row; Autotrader extends with Team Penske
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – NASCAR has set the starting positions in the NASCAR Cup, Xfinity and Camping World Truck Series for this weekend’s races at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Autotrader is extending their partnership with Team Penske. The Stadium Super Truck Series is coming back to the Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.
Hamlin And Truex Jr On Atlanta Cup Front Row:
- Joe Gibbs Racing teammates Denny Hamlin and Martin Truex Jr are on the front row for Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series Folds Of Honor QuikTrip 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway. NASCAR sets the starting field using their Metric data formula. Team Penske teammates Joey Logano and Brad Keselowski make up row 2. Hendrick Motorsports teammates Chase Elliott and Kyle Larson make up row 3. There have been five different winners so far in five NASCAR Cup Series races in 2021. Atlanta Cup Starting Lineup
Cindric And Burton On Xfinity Series Front Row:
- Team Penske’s Austin Cindric and Joe Gibbs Racing’s Jeb Burton are on the front row for Saturday’s NASCAR Xfinity Series EchoPark 250 at Atlanta Motor Speedway. AJ Allmendinger and Brandon Brown make up row two followed by Harrison Burton and Justin Allgaier. Atlanta Xfinity Starting Lineup
Nemechek And Busch On Camping World Truck Series Front Row:
- John Hunter Nemechek and his boss/team owner Kyle Busch will start on the front row for Saturday afternoon’s Fr8Auctions 200 NASCAR Camping World trucks series race at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Nemechek beat his boss last weekend at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Level Green PA’s Norm Benning will start 37th. Atlanta Truck Starting Lineup
Autotrader Extends Partership With Team Penske:
- Autotrader is extending their partnership with Team Penske. The partnership renewal includes an increase in races where the Autotrader brand will serve as primary sponsor for the Ford Mustangs driven by both 2012 NASCAR Cup Series Champion Brad Keselowski and 2018 NASCAR Cup Series Champion Joey Logano. Keselowski and Logano will compete in the Autotrader orange and blue colors for a total of six races during the 2021 season, starting this weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway, where Keselowski will race the No. 2 Autotrader Ford.
Racing Notebook: Sheetz Partners With Richmond; Carshop Joins Team Penske; Moose Fraternity Partners With CGR
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – Richmond Raceway and Sheetz are continuing their partnership plus Team Penske announces a new partner as CarShop joins Austin Cindric’s program and Moose Fraternity partners with the No. 42 of Chip Ganassi Racing.
Sheetz Continues Partnership With Richmond Raceway:
- Sheetz and Richmond Raceway are continuing their partnership for the 2021 season. Sheetz is ‘The Official Convenience Store of Richmond Raceway’. In addition to Sheetz becomes the naming rights partner for ‘Richmond Nation’, the official season ticket program of the track. The official name of the season ticket program will now be ‘RICHMOND NATION presented by Sheetz’.
CarShop Partners With Team Penske:
- CarShop, an easy and fun way to buy like-new vehicles in-store or online, will partner with Team Penske’s reigning NASCAR Xfinity Series (NXS) Champion Austin Cindric and the No. 22 Ford Mustang team for the 2021 season. Beginning with this weekend’s NXS race at Phoenix Raceway, CarShop will be featured as the primary sponsor of the No. 22 Ford at several events this season, as Cindric and the team look to defend their series title. CarShop, a wholly owned subsidiary of Penske Automotive Group, offers high-quality used vehicles with upfront, no-haggle pricing and a money-back guarantee.
Moose Fraternity Partnering With Chip Ganassi Racing:
- The Moose Fraternity is partnering with Chip Ganassi Racing and the No. 42 Chevrolet Camaro driven by Ross Chastain. The Partnership includes several primary sponsor races as well as associate races for Moose Fraternity, who began a relationship with Chastain in 2020. Members of the Moose conduct between $50 and $70-million worth of community service annually.
NASCAR Hires Martin As Vice-President:
- NASCAR has named Eric Ryan their Vice President of Communications. In his new role, Ryan will provide leadership across strategic initiatives and day-to-day operations of the sanctioning body’s communications and public relations work. Based out of the company’s headquarters in Daytona Beach, Fla. and will report to Chief Communications & Social Responsibility Officer, Eric Nyquist.
Racing Notebook: Chase Elliott on Pole Position For NASCAR Road Course Race; Sye Lynch Forms New Partnership and more
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – Chase Elliott is on the pole for race number 2 of the NASCAR Cup Series season plus Sye Lynch announces his 2021 plans; A new partnership forms between two former INDYCAR competitors; Weather postpones two World of Outlaws events and more in the latest edition of the Pittsburgh Racing Now Notebook.
Chase Elliott On Daytona Road Course Pole:
- Hendrick Motorsports Chase Elliott will start from the pole position at this Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series road course race at Daytona International Speedway. Daytona 500 winner Michael McDowell will start second. Austin Dillon and Denny Hamlin make up row 2. Chip Ganassi Racing’s Ross Chastain will start 9th in the No. 42 Chevrolet and Kurt Busch will start 17th in the No. 1 Monster Energy Chevrolet. The lineup is set by NASCAR’s Qualifying Metrics. Daytona Road Course Starting Lineup
Sye Lynch Partners With Josh Baughman:
- Third generation Sprint Car driver Sye Lynch is partnering with Baughman Motorsports for the 2021 racing season. Lynch plans to enter around 80-events as part of this partnership with Josh Baughman. Longtime Lynch partner Mosites Motorsports joins new marketing partners Fischer Body Shop of Missouri and Hollywood Blasting and Coating of Odessa, Texas as part of the arrangement.
Michael Andretti and Michel Jourdain Team Up:
- Michael Andretti is teaming up with Michel Jourdain are teaming up to field an entry in the Super Copa Championship. The newly formed Andretti Jourdain Autosport team will be based in Mexico and contest the No. 1 car in the championship’s Touring Car division. This new endeavor marks a seventh motorsport discipline for Andretti Autosport which also competes in the NTT INDYCAR SERIES, Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires, IMSA LMP3 Prototype Challenge, the FIA Formula E Championship, Extreme E and Australian Supercars.
Transcard To Partner With Meyer Shank Racing At Nashville:
- Transcard will partner with Meyer Shank Racing (MSR) and driver Helio Castroneves for the NTT INDYCAR SERIES Music City Grand Prix in Nashville. The inaugural Music City Grand Prix will be the second of six events for Castroneves with MSR. Transcard is a leading global provider of solutions that help businesses, consumers, banks, and financial technology providers accelerate payments and related data. The Music City Grand Prix takes place August 6-8 on the streets of Nashville, TN.
Extreme Winter Weather Postpones WoO Events at Magnolia and The Rev:
- The World of Outlaws NOS Energy Drink Sprint Car Series doubleheader weekend at Magnolia Motor Speedway, in Columbus, MS, and The Rev, in Monroe, LA, initially scheduled for this weekend (Friday, Feb. 19, and Saturday, Feb. 20), have been postponed due to extreme winter weather that is projected to continue throughout the weekend.
This Week on DirtVision:
- The weather in parts of our country are frightful but there is racing action scheduled and DirtVision has it including the Drydene Extreme DIRTcar Series action from Lake View Motor Speedway on Saturday and Cherokee Speedway on Sunday. Click here for the complete DirtVision schedule.