PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – The World of Outlaws NOS Energy Drink iRacing Invitational Series takes to virtual Williams Grove Speedway tonight plus Corey Gordon grabs the checkered flag in Monday night’s World of Outlaws Morton Buildings Late Model iRacing event at Williams Grove and NASCAR could get back on track in some States.
The World of Outlaws NOS Energy Sprint Cars visit virtual Williams Grove:
- The World of Outlaws NOS Energy Drink Sprint Car Series iRacing Invitational visits virtual Williams Grove Speedway tonight. Kevin Swindell enters the event with the momentum of back-to-back victories the last two weeks at virtual Knoxville and virtual Lernerville. Stewart Haas Racing’s Chase Briscoe will drive the No. 5 #BuiltFordProud/Huffy entry (Pictured above) in Tuesday’s WoO NOS Energy Drink Sprint Cars iRacing Invitational to pay homage to Ford’s efforts to aid in the battle against coronavirus. The virtual race is available on DIRTVision.
Corey Gordon Victorious in Late Model iRacing Event at Williams Grove:
- Team Drydene eSports driver Corey Gordon picked up the win in the World of Outlaws Morton Buildings Late Model iRacing Invitational at Williams Grove Speedway Monday night. Eric Riggins, who started fourth, finished second followed by Logan Seavey, who started second. Tyler Clem and Trent Ivey rounded out the top 5.
NASCAR Not Commenting On Possible Return To The Track:
- NASCAR has not released an official statement on their possible return to the track but North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper plans to release details later this week in regards to lifting the State’s stay-at-home restrictions. “We are working to ease restrictions in a responsible way, in a staged way,” Gov. Cooper said Tuesday during a media briefing. “We will be bringing forward this week more specifics on that plan to move forward and what trends, testing and tracing, that we are going to be looking at in order to begin the process to ease the restrictions”. Florida has deemed sports an “essential” business so events could take place in that state without fans in attendance.
Add The Indianapolis Motor Speedway or Indy 500 To Your Meeting Background:
- If you’re videoconferencing from home, you can now show your coworkers your affinity for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge. Many video conferencing platforms give users the option to upload photos to set as their background. A set of six photos from the 103rd running of the Indianapolis 500 are now available at IMS.com for fans to download and add to their platform. Fans are encouraged to share their virtual Indy 500 experience on social media and and tag the track on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
Racing Notebook: Hinchcliffe Replaces Veach; Askew In Concussion Protocol, Helio To Fill-in and more!
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – A jam packed edition of The Pittsburgh Racing Now Notebook has details on Zach Veach’s replacement at Andretti Autosport plus Arrow McLaren SP’s Oliver Askew sidelined by a concussion so Helio Castroneves is going to fill-in; Hendrick Motorsports penalized for violating wind tunnel time; Limited amount of fans at Charlotte Roval and the World of Outlaws in Ohio before Lernerville stop.
Hinchcliffe To Replace Veach At Andretti:
- James Hinchcliffe will finish out the 2020 NTT INDYCAR SERIES season in the No. 26 Gainbridge Honda for Andretti Autosport. Hinchcliffe replaces Zach Veach, who parted ways with the organization earlier this week. Hinchcliffe drove full-time for Andretti from 2012-2014 and in three races this year. The NTT INDYCAR SERIES continues next Friday and Saturday with the Harvest Grand Prix doubleheader on the road course at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Askew Out With Concussion; Helio To Fill-in:
- Arrow McLaren SP’s Oliver Askew will not be behind the wheel of the No. 7 Chevrolet at next weekend’s NTT INDYCAR SERIES Harvest Grand Prix doubleheader. Askew told the Associated Press he hasn’t felt right since a wreck at the Indianapolis 500. Askew has since been diagnosed with a concussion and is undergoing treatment at The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center’s Sports Medicine Concussion Program. Helio Castroneves will replace Askew at the Harvest GP.
Hendrick Motorsports Penalized For Rules Violation:
- NASCAR is fining Hendrick Motorsports $100,000 and docking the organization 10-hours of wind tunnel time in 2021 for going over their allotted time this year. The team self-reported the violation when they realized they went over the 70-hours teams are permitted to use in 2020. The teams will get 80-hours in 2021, leaving Hendrick with only 70.
Limited Amount Of Fans At Charlotte:
- Charlotte Motor Speedway will be permitted to host a limited amount of fans at their NASCAR weekend October 10-11. The State of North Carolina will allow outdoor sports venues that have a capacity of more than 10,000 to host events with fans up to seven percent of their capacity. CMS is expected to be able to around 7,000-fans. Season ticket holders are being contacted about the Cup series race but tickets are available for the Xfinity and IMSA races on Saturday.
World of Outlaws At Wayne County Tonight:
- The World of Outlaws NOS Energy Sprint Car Series is at Wayne County Speedway outside of Canton, Ohio tonight, one night before the Outlaws invade Lernerville Speedway for the ‘Commonwealth Clash’. Brad Sweet, last year’s winner of the Clash, holds a 20-point lead over Logan Schuchart in the Championship standings heading into this weekend.
Racing Notebook: Gravel Wins At Eldora; Mid-Ohio Gearing Up For IMSA; Briscoe On Xfinity Pole and more
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – The latest edition of The Pittsburgh Racing Now Notebook recaps David Gravel’s win at Eldora, IMSA’s trip to Mid-Ohio this weekend, the NASCAR Xfinity Series starting lineup at Las Vegas, the NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series lineup and pilot error cited in Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s 2019 plane crash.
Gravel Wins Governors Reign At Eldora:
- David Gravel held off Kyle Larson to win The Ollies Bargain Outlet All Star Circuit of Champions Governors Reign at Eldora Speedway Wednesday night. Gravel started on the pole position and led all 35-laps but not without a fight from Larson. Larson started 10th and worked his way into the top 5 before the midway point and into second place after a restart following a lap 20 caution. Gravel took off on that restart but Larson kept chiseling away at Gravel’s lead, trying a slide job on the last lap only to lose the drag race to the checkered flag. Gravel took home $52,000 for the win.
Mid-Ohio Preparing For IMSA Weekend:
- The Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course is gearing up for a weekend of sports car racing as the International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) brings four series to the 2.258-mile, 13-turn natural terrain road course. The Acura Sports Car Challenge at Mid-Ohio showcases the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship is Sunday’s headliner. The IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge races on both Saturday and Sunday. The IMSA Prototype Challenge and Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge USA will hold a triple header while the Mazda MX-5 Cup will hold a doubleheader. A limited amount of fans will be permitted to attend but must purchase tickets online at www.midohio.com because tickets will not be sold at the gate.
Chase Briscoe Awarded Xfinity Series Las Vegas Pole:
- Stewart Haas Racing’s Chase Briscoe has been awarded the pole position for Saturday night’s NASCAR Xfinity Series Alsco 300 Playoff opener at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Team Penske’s Austin Cindric will start second. JR Motorsports Justin Allgaier will lineup third with Kaulig Motorsports Ross Chastain starting fourth. The lineup was set by NASCAR’s ‘performance matrix’. Briscoe and Cindric both open the playoffs with 2050 points but Briscoe is first due to a series-high 7-wins. The green flag flies Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. ET. Xfinity Las Vegas Starting Lineup
Brett Moffitt Awarded Las Vegas Truck Series Pole:
- GMS Racing’s Brett Moffitt has been awarded the pole position for Friday night’s NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series World of Westgate 200 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The race is the second of the NASCAR Playoffs for the Truck Series. Moffitt finished second in last weekend’s playoff opener at Bristol Motor Speedway. Moffitt’s GMS Racing teammate Sam Mayer, who is running a part-time schedule won that race. The green flag for the Westgate 200 drops at 9:00 p.m. ET. NASCAR Trucks Las Vegas Lineup
Pilot Error Cited In Dale Earnhardt Jr Plane Accident:
- The National Transportation Safety Board is blaming the pilots for the crash August 2019 crash involving Dale Earnhardt Jr. and his family. Investigators said the probable cause of the incident was decisions by the pilots, including approaching the runway too fast and a failed attempt to abort the landing. The report says the plane bounced four times and “the airplane touched down hard and the right main landing gear then collapsed under the wing.”
Racing Notebook: Marks Wins At Eldora; Veach Out At Andretti; Harvick On Vegas Pole and more
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – The latest edition of The Pittsburgh Racing Now Notebook has details on Brent Marks win at Eldora plus Zach Veach and Andretti Autosport part ways and Kevin Harvick is awarded the pole at Las Vegas and Acura partners with Meyer Shank Racing and Wayne Taylor Racing for 2021.
Brent Marks Wins Governors Reign Opener At Eldora Speedway:
- Brent Marks held off Kerry Madsen following a late race caution to win The Ollies Bargain Outlet All Star Circuit of Champions Governors Reign opener at Eldora Speedway in Rossburg Ohio. Marks started fourth and was in the lead by lap 10. The victory earned the Myerstown, PA native $10,000. The Governors Reign will continue on Wednesday evening, September 23, with a second, full All Stars program that will award $52,000.
Zach Veach Out At Andretti Autosport:
- NTT INDYCAR SERIES driver Zach Veach is relinquishing his role of driver of the No. 26 Gainbridge Honda for Andretti Autosport. In a statement Veach said, “The decision was made that I will not be returning in 2021 with Andretti Autosport in the No. 26 Gainbridge car. This, along with knowing that limited testing exists for teams due to COVID, have led me to the decision to step out of the car for the remainder of the 2020 INDYCAR season. I am doing this to allow the team to have time with other drivers as they prepare for 2021, and so that I can also explore my own 2021 options.” No replacement has been named for next weekend’s Harvest GP on the road course at The Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Kevin Harvick Awarded Las Vegas Pole Position:
- NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Points leader Kevin Harvick will start on the pole position for Sunday’s South Point 400 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Harvick was awarded the pole based on NASCAR’s ‘performance matrix’. Kyle Busch will start on the outside of the front row. Chase Elliott and Aric Almirola will make up row 2. The South Point 400 takes place Sunday, September 27 at 7:00 p.m. ET. Las Vegas Cup Starting Lineup
Acura Partners With Meyer Shank and Wayne Taylor For 2021 DPi Program:
- Acura Motorsports is partnering with Meyer Shank Racing and Wayne Taylor Racing to field a pair of Acura ARX-05 Daytona Prototype International entries in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship, beginning in 2021. Read our complete coverage here.