PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – Driver Kyle Larson suspended by NASCAR and Chip Ganassi Racing after using a racial slur during an iRacing event on Sunday. Simon Pagenaud and Phillippe Denes pick up iRacing wins over the weekend and Dale Jr. grabs a podium finish in Monday’s Pittsburgh Racing Now Notebook.
Kyle Larson Suspended by Chip Ganassi Racing and NASCAR:
- Driver Kyle Larson has been suspended by Chip Ganassi Racing and NASCAR after using a racial slur during an iRacing event on Sunday. Larson, a graduate of the NASCAR Drive for Diversity program, issued an apology. Check out our coverage here.
Simon Pagenaud Wins INDYCAR iRacing Challenge At Michigan:
- Team Penske’s Simon Pagenaud picked up the win in Saturday’s INDYCAR iRacing Challenge at Michigan International Speedway. Pagenaud avoided a first-lap pileup and used smart pit strategy to beat teammate Scott McLaughlin by 13.409-seconds. Pagenaud pitted later than the lead group, staying back in the draft and maximizing his fuel mileage to make only one pit-stop in the event. Dale Earnhardt Jr. finished third in the No. 3 Nationwide JR Motorsports Chevrolet by employing a similar strategy to Pagenaud’s. The next INDYCAR iRacing Challenge event takes place April 18 at a “Random Draw” track.
Design Graham Rahal’s Helmet:
- Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing‘s Graham Rahal wants you to design his helmet. Rahal took to Social Media on Monday to ask race fans to submit a design by the end of month. Rahal will pick the top designs and then will see what the fans think of those designs. The winning design will be worn at a race later this year.
Let's have a little fun! I'm going to wear a fan-designed helmet for one of the @indycar races this year. Submit your design by April 30. I'll pick my top designs and then we'll do some fan voting and send the winning design to @TroyLeeDesigns to get painted! Rules & Template ⬇️ pic.twitter.com/fKldE3TupZ
— Graham Rahal (@GrahamRahal) April 13, 2020
Phillippe Denes Wins Road-to-Indy eSeries Thriller:
- Phillippe Denes remains unbeaten in the Ricmotech Road to Indy Presented by Cooper Tires iRacing eSeries. Denes and reigning Cooper Tires USF2000 Champion Braden Eves exchanged positions almost constantly on the 2.534-mile Indianapolis F1 Grand Prix road course. Denes allowed Eves to make a pass under braking for Turn Eight at the end of the Hulman Drive Straightaway on the 33rd and final lap. Denes then tucked into Eves’ slipstream as they entered the final corner – running in the reverse direction to the famed oval – drafted past as they headed onto the long drag to the finish line and just managed to keep Eves at bay as the pair was finally separated at the virtual yard of bricks by just 0.098-second.
World of Outlaws iRacing World Championship Continues Tonight:
- The iRacing World of Outlaws NOS Energy Drink Sprint Car World Championship continues tonight at 9 p.m. (ET) for its fourth round of action. The league of Pro iracers will compete at the (virtual) Knoxville Raceway. Dillon Semmelmann won the last race at Fairbury Speedway, but reigning champion Alex Bergeron continues to lead the points with one win and a 14-point lead over Blake Cannon. You can watch all of the action live on iRacing.com/live.
Racing Notebook: Cindric To Attempt Daytona 500; Chase Elliott Gets A New Paint Job; Huset Added To DIRTVision and more
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – This edition of The Pittsburgh Racing Now Notebook has details about Austin Cindric’s Daytona 500 attempt plus the defending NASCAR Cup Series Champion’s ride gets a new paint job. DIRTVision adds another track to their FAST PASS subscription; Tony Stewart Racing unveils some new colors; The Motorsports Council of Pennsylvania needs your help and Alexander Rossi leads day two of NTT INDYCAR SERIES testing at Sebring.
Austin Cindric To Make Daytona 500 Attempt:
- Defending NASCAR Xfinity Series Champion Austin Cindric will attempt to make the Daytona 500 field next month. Cindric will make the attempt in the No. 33 Ford Mustang for Team Penske. Miles Stanley, who has worked as race engineer for Team Penske’s No. 12 and No. 22 Cup Series teams, will serve as crew chief for Cindric and the No. 33 Ford team in 2021. Cindric will compete in select Cup Series races in the No. 33 Ford Mustang before he joins the series full-time in 2022, driving for Wood Brothers Racing.
New Look For Chase Elliott’s No. 9 NAPA Chevy:
- Defending NASCAR Cup Series Champion Chase Elliott will be sporting a new look on the No. 9 NAPA Camaro in 2021. NAPA used their social media accounts to show fans the subtle change:
— NAPA Racing (@NAPARacing) January 19, 2021
DIRTVision Adds Huset Speedway To FAST PASS:
- DIRTVision FAST PASS – Subscribers will see another iconic track join the impressive schedule of live weekly racing when the 2021 season kicks off at Huset’s Speedway. Huset’s Speedway joins the growing list of historic tracks like Attica Raceway Park, Knoxville Raceway and Williams Grove Speedway which will see their weekly racing broadcast LIVE on DIRTVision with the annual Platinum FAST PASS subscription for $299/year -OR- the monthly FAST PASS subscription for $39/month.
New Looks For Tony Stewart Racing:
- The Sprint Cars of Donny Schatz and Tony Stewart will be sporting different looks in 2021. Carquest and Ford Performance will return to sponsor Schatz, who’s No. 15 will feature Ford’s Iconic Silver as the primary color to commemorate Schatz’ 25-years in racing. Stewart’s No. 14 will be primarily Black & Red with sponsors Rush Truck Centers and Advance Auto Parts returning as sponsor. Curb records returns on both cars. Schatz and Stewart’s 2021 seasons will start at Arizona Speedway’s Wild Wing Shootout on January 21-24.
Motorsports Council of Pennsylvania Begins Survey Process:
- The Motorsports Council of Pennsylvania (MCP) is sending out economic impact surveys to Pennsylvania race tracks, teams and racing related entities. The data collected from the surveys will be compiled by Washington & Jefferson College professors Rob & Leslie Dunn, who along with the MCP, will produce a study on the range and economic impact of the racing industry in the Keystone State. For complete details and survey links click here.
Alexander Rossi Fastest In Day 2 Of INDYCAR Testing At Sebring:
- Andretti Autosports Alexander Rossi posted the fastest lap in Tuesday’s INDYCAR team testing at Sebring International Raceway. Times were unofficial as a handful of teams including Andretti Autosport, Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing, Meyer Shank Racing, A.J. Foyt Racing and Carlin Racing took to the circuit. The NTT INDYCAR SERIES season opening race is April 11, 2021 at Barber Motorsports Park.
Racing Notebook: IndyCar And IMSA Testing At Sebring; Jamie McMurray To Run Daytona; A Female-Led Ownership Group Starts IndyCar Team and more!
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – IMSA and NTT INDYCAR SERIES teams take to Sebring for pre-season testing plus Jamie McMurray to run Daytona 500 with help from Chip Ganassi Racing and Spire Motorsports. A female-led ownership group launches a new NTT INDYCAR SERIES team and Jarett Andretti continues building his sports car team, all in the latest edition of the Pittsburgh Racing Now Notebook. This edition is brought to you by our new partner DIRTVision!
NTT INDYCAR SERIES AND IMSA TEAMS TEST AT SEBRING:
- Five of Chip Ganassi Racing‘s cars took part in testing the past two days at Sebring International Raceway in Florida. Defending and six-time NTT INDYCAR SERIES Champion Scott Dixon put the No. 9 PNC Bank Honda through the paces and had the unofficial fast time of Monday’s session. Dixon was joined at the test by Marcus Ericsson in the No. 8 Huski Chocolate Honda, Alex Palou in the No. 10 NTT Data Services Honda and Jimmie Johnson in the No. 48 Carvana Honda (pictured above). Ganassi’s Daytona Prototype IMSA entry, the No. 01 Cadillac hit the track on Tuesday for it’s inaugural run with Renger Van Der Zande and Kevin Magnusson sharing the driving duties. They’ll be joined by Dixon at the season-opening Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona.
— CGR IndyCar (@CGRindycar) January 18, 2021
— Chip Ganassi Racing (@CGRTeams) January 16, 2021
Jamie McMurray To Compete In The Daytona 500:
- Longtime Chip Ganassi Racing driver and current Fox Sports broadcaster Jamie McMurray is going to race in this year’s Daytona 500. McMurray will drive the Spire Motorsports No. 77 Chevrolet Camaro with sponsorship from Chip Ganassi Racing partner Advent Health. McMurray won the Daytona 500 in 2010, which took place on February 14th. This year’s race coincidentally takes place on February 14th.
— Jamie McMurray (@jamiemcmurray) January 19, 2021
Paretta Autosport To Compete In Indy 500 With De Silvestro:
- Paretta Autosport is entering the 105th running of the Indianapolis 500 with driver Simona De Silvestro. Paretta Autosport is led by automotive and motorsport executive Beth Paretta, who plans on integrating women into the team’s competition, operations, logistics, marketing and public relations departments. The team is an extension of INDYCAR and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway‘s “Racer for Equality & Change” announced last July. Team Penske will provide technical support to the team in preparation for the race, which takes place Sunday, May 30.
Tristan Herbert Joins Andretti Autosport LMP3 IMSA Program:
- Tristan Herbert will co-drive the No. 18 Gallant Ligier JS P320 along with Jarett Andretti in the IMSA Prototype category. Herbert currently competes on and off the track while managing Audi Sport customer racing U.S. for the last seven years. Andretti is also adding another partner to their sports car program. Unite Health Share Ministries (UHSM) will be an associate sponsor on the Andretti Autosport No.18.
Racing Notebook: Scott Dixon To Run IMSA Enduros For Ganassi; Marco Andretti’s 2021 Plans and more
PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – Six-time NTT INDYCAR SERIES Champion Scott Dixon will be the third driver for Chip Ganassi’s Sports Car team, running the endurance events. CGR also revealed the livery for the No. 01 Cadillac. Lots of news from Andretti Autosport as Marco Andretti releases his 2021 plans and Ryan Hunter-Reay is returns for the 2021 season with backing from DHL plus Jarret Andretti continues to add sponsorship for his Sports Car effort. Last but not least, Pitbull joins the ownership group of Trackhouse Racing.
Dixon To Run Endurance Events For CGR Sports Car:
- Six-time NTT INDYCAR SERIES Champion Scott Dixon is going to the 3rd driver for Chip Ganassi’s IMSA program. Dixon will run the endurance events along with driver Renger Van Der Zande and Kevin Magnussen, the drivers who will run the entire IMSA schedule. Dixon drove for Wayne Taylor Racing last year and competed in Ganassi’s previous sports car entries in GTLM and DPi.
◼️ 6-Time NTT INDYCAR SERIES champ
◼️ 4-Time & reigning #Rolex24 winner
◼️ Still at the top of his game
— Chip Ganassi Racing (@CGRTeams) January 14, 2021
Marco Andretti Announces 2021 Plans:
- Marco Andretti is not going to run the full 2021 NTT INDYCAR SERIES schedule, opting to focus on winning the Indy 500 as well as looking into running some IMSA races with his cousin Jarett. Here is Marco’s full post:
🚨ANNOUNCEMENT: 🏁 pic.twitter.com/c64puKWbCA
— Marco Andretti (@MarcoAndretti) January 15, 2021
Ganassi Unveils Sports Car Livery Ahead Of Rolex 24 At Daytona:
- Chip Ganassi Racing used their social media channels to unveil the livery of the No. 01 Cadillac that the team will campaign on the IMSA circuit in 2021.
— Chip Ganassi Racing (@CGRTeams) January 14, 2021
Ryan Hunter-Reay To Return To Andretti In 2021:
- Ryan Hunter-Reay will be back behind the wheel of the No. 28 Honda for the 2021 season. Andretti Autosport made the announcement that DHL will return as RHR’s sponsor. Hunter-Reay has collected 15 race wins with the team, for a total of 18 overall INDYCAR career victories. His most notable accolades including his 2012 championship title and 2014 Indianapolis 500 victory. The 2021 season will mark Hunter-Reay’s 15th season in the NTT INDYCAR SERIES, and his 12th as part of the Andretti Autosport stable.
Jarett Andretti Adds Sponsorship For Sports Car Program:
- Jarett Andretti, who recently announced his plans to race full-time in the IMSA LMP3 series with Andretti Autosport and manufacturer, Ligier, announced that he’ll have continued support from long-time partner, Window World. Window World will serve as a co-associate sponsor for Andretti. Additional support will come from Window World vendor – MI Windows and Doors, who are headquartered in Gratz, PA.
Pitbull Joins Trackhouse Racing Ownership Group:
- Grammy award winner Pitbull is joining the ownership group of Trackhouse Racing, Justin Marks new team. Daniel Suarez is the driver and former DEI executive Ty Norris is the team president. Trackhouse has formed a technical and operational partnership with Richard Childress Racing.