PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – Monday’s racing notebook is loaded with news from the NTT INDYCAR SERIES as well as NASCAR and the World of Outlaws.
Ed Carpenter Racing Unveils Conor Daly’s Air Force Chevrolet:
- Ed Carpenter Racing and the U.S. Air Force debuted the livery for Conor Daly’s No. 20 U.S. Air Force Chevrolet. The initial inspiration for livery is rooted in the steep history of 5th Air Force, headquartered at Yokota Air Base, Japan. 5th Air Force is the U.S. Air Force’s oldest continuously serving Numbered Air Force, providing more than 75 years of continuous air power to the Pacific. Today, 15,000 Airmen and Air Force civilians are assigned to 5th Air Force and its three main bases. Daly’s No. 20 U.S. Air Force Chevrolet continues to feature the iconic Tiger Shark teeth war paint often carried into battle by the A-10 Thunderbolt and the P-40 Warhawk. Each location where the bodywork of Daly’s NTT INDYCAR SERIES car comes together is marked with rivet detailing, a tribute to the P-51 Mustang of the 39th Fighter Squadron, 35th Fighter Group, 5th Air Force. The lightning bolt featured on the rear wing end fence is a nod to the Air Force Academy.
Andretti Autosport To Continue #CheckIt4Andretti Campaign:
- Michael Andretti’s team plans to continue the #CheckIt4Andretti campaign for colon screenings started by his late cousin John Andretti. All Andretti Autosport cars and uniforms will carry the hashtag. In May 2017, John Andretti went public with his fight against colon cancer by launching the #CheckIt4Andretti campaign to spread messaging on the importance of colon cancer screenings. The hashtag and John’s message were carried far and wide by the racing community with attention from INDYCAR, NASCAR, NHRA and sprint car communities.
Axalta Extends Hendrick Motorsports Sponsorship:
- Axalta is extending their sponsorship of Hendrick Motorsports (HMS) in the NASCAR Cup Series. Axalta and HMS have agreed to a five-year contract extension that will take the partnership through 2027. Axalta will be a primary sponsor of the No. 24 team with driver William Byron for 14 Cup Series races each year beginning in 2021. Byron is coming off a sophomore season that saw him produce personal bests in nearly every statistical category and earn his first Cup playoff berth.
Pocono Raceway Camping Continuing Hot Sales Plus Early Entry:
- Pocono Raceway is continuing to see brisk sales for campsites. Pocono on Monday announced that campsites for the 2020 NASCAR Doubleheader Week will be open for six days, starting on Wednesday, June 24. Pocono also announced that only 125-reserved campsites, including spots in the new Turn 1 camping area, remain available for purchase. Fans interested in camping should call 1-800-722-3929 or visit www.poconoraceway.com for more detail and additional information.
World of Outlaws Late Models Returning To Wisconsin:
- The World of Outlaws Morton Buildings Late Model Series is returning to Gondik Law Speedway (formerly known as Amsoil Speedway) on Tuesday, July 14, marking the first time since 2013 the Series is racing at the northwestern Wisconsin venue. This wide, sweeping 3/8-mile, home to many WISSOTA Late Model regulars, is sure provide some great racing action as the tour begins the first leg of its Upper Midwest tour.
Shell Racing U.S. Honors Helio With Video:
- Shell Racing U.S. took to their social media accounts to honor 3-time Indianapolis 500 winner Helio Castroneves’ quest for a record-tying fourth win at Gasoline Alley:
It's officially 104 days out of the 104th running of the #Indianapolis500 @IMS, and we want to honor @h3lio Castroneves' 20th go at the #Indy500 this May with a very special video. pic.twitter.com/PC10vEge7a
— Shell Racing US (@shellracingus) February 10, 2020
INDYCAR and NBC sign multi-year extension
INDIANAPOLIS, IN (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – The NTT INDYCAR SERIES and NBC Network announced on Tuesday a multi-year extension to the media rights of the open wheel series.
NBC Sports will continue to be the exclusive home of the Indianapolis 500 and will provide coverage of all NTT INDYCAR SERIES races, qualifying, practices and Indy Lights races across its linear, digital and streaming platforms, including Peacock. Terms of the deal were not announced.
“NBC Sports is proud to extend its partnership with the NTT INDYCAR SERIES and continue to serve as the exclusive home of the most competitive open-wheel racing series in the world and ‘The Greatest Spectacle in Racing,’” said Jon Miller, NBC Sports.
“NBC Sports has been the ideal partner for the NTT INDYCAR SERIES, bringing our bold and audacious style of racing to a significantly larger domestic audience and fully leveraging the power and scale of the Indianapolis 500,” said Mark Miles, President and CEO of Penske Entertainment Corp. “This new deal represents a significant expansion of our network TV exposure and sets us up for continued growth and success alongside a committed, innovative and world-class broadcast partner.”
INDYCAR and NBC are enjoying strong ratings for the 2021. Ratings are up 30% this year.
As part of the agreement, 13 races will be broadcast on NBC. USA Network and Peacock Premium will show the remaining races. Telemundo Deportes will provide Spanish-language coverage of the season-opening race, the Indianapolis 500 and the season finale.
Peacock will stream all races on NBC and USA Network and will continue as the streaming home of NTT INDYCAR SERIES qualifying and practices sessions, Indy Lights races and full-event replays. Peacock will stream two races exclusively, which will be announced at a later date.
Chase Elliott wins SRX finale at Nashville, Stewart wins Championship
NASHVILLE, TN (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – Chase Elliott joined the Superstar Racing Experience (SRX) for their season finale at Nashville Fairgrounds and took home the checkered flag beating Tony Stewart and his father Bill Elliott in the feature. The win was the first series victory for the younger Elliott.
Chase Elliott was on the inside with Stewart on the outside on a restart with 7-laps-to-go followed by Bill Elliott and Bobby Labonte in Row 2.
Chase Elliott beat Stewart into turn one and two with Bill Elliott and Bobby Labonte side-by-side for third.
Caution came out with 5-laps-to-go when Paul Tracy made contact with Marco Andretti, sending Andretti into a spin after picking up three spots following the restart.
Chase Elliott got the jump on Stewart on the restart and held on to pick up the win. Stewart finished second and took home the inaugural series Championship.
“Man it was so much fun,” said Chase Elliott. “I had a ball. I got to race against two of my heroes tonight and I got to race against Dad there throughout the race and those are moments that I’ll cherish forever. Thanks to Ray (Evernham, Series co-owner) and Tony (Stewart, Series co-owner) and I appreciate NAPA being on the car.”
NASCAR Hall-of-famer Bill Elliott, 65, finished third and picked up a win in the first heat race where he started side-by-side with his son Chase.
“I messed up in one not getting all the stuff (marbles) off my tires,” said Bill Elliott, the 1988 NASCAR Cup Series Champion. “Man I tell you it was a lot of fun. I knew the way the tires were on these cars and the way Chase manages his stuff he was going to be tough to beat.”
“I don’t know what lit a fire under him tonight,” said Chase Elliott. “But he was as aggressive as I have seen him in years. It was amazing and a lot of fun. I thought it was going to be between he and I but he got a little high going into (turn) one.”
The win was also special for the Elliott Family as they were able to park the No. 94 in Victory Lane. Casey Elliott, the late son of legendary engine builder Ernie Elliott, raced the No. 94 in the ARCA and Busch (now Xfinity) Series before his life was cut short by cancer.
“Obviously a special number too,” said Chase Elliott. “My late Cousin Casey Elliott ran the 94 for years and years and it’s always special to run that number and I’m glad we were able to get it in Victory Lane at Nashville.”
“How could you ask for more than to finish between two Elliott’s, that’s pretty bad-ass in itself,” said Stewart. “To win this Championship is awesome. I really appreciate Marcus Lemonis and everyone at Camping World for stepping up and helping us get this thing off the ground. To be the last guy to win an IROC Championship and the first one to win an SRX Championship means a lot.”
Josef Newgarden ends Penske INDYCAR win drought at Mid-Ohio
LEXINGTON, OH (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – Team Penske’s Josef Newgarden picked up his, and Team Penske’s, first win of 2021 holding off Marcus Ericsson to win Sunday’s NTT INDYCAR SERIES Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio.
Newgarden started on the pole position and led 73-of-80-laps to pick up his first win since the 2020 season finale at the Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.
“This team has been doing the job,” said Newgarden. “Everyone has been giving me a hard time, asking what’s up with us not winning a race. But I don’t think these people at Team Penske could have done anything different. We’ve been in the game almost every race, had great performance. It’s great to seal a win here finally.”
Newgarden spoiled a tremendous afternoon for Chip Ganassi Racing, the winningest INDYCAR team at Mid-Ohio.
CGR’s Ericsson finished second, 0.8790-seconds behind Newgarden. The second place finish was Ericsson’s seventh top-10 finish of 2021.
“We were hunting him down there,” said Ericsson. “He (Newgarden) was really struggling with his tires the last five laps. Just catching him quickly. Another lap or two would be even better, but I’ll take second today.”
Ericsson’s CGR teammate Alex Palou and Scott Dixon finished third and fourth respectively to give Chip Ganassi three cars in the top 5.
“It’s always good to start P7 and you finish on the podium,” said Palou. “Yeah, I think today was a good result.”
“I think it was a great day, great day for the team, to have me, Alex and Scott, P2, P3 and P4,” said Ericsson. “It’s a strong result. Shows how strong we are at the moment”
Palou remains the Championship points leader, 39 points ahead of Pato O’Ward of Arrow McLaren SP. Dixon is third, 56 points behind Palou. Newgarden remained fourth, 69 points back of the leader, and Ericsson jumped three positions to take fifth in the standings, 104 points behind Palou.