PITTSBURGH, PA (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – The second big race weekend of 2020 is here as the ARCA (Automobile Racing Club of America) cars hit the track at Daytona International Speedway for practice with all eyes on Hailie Deegan. Arrow McLaren SP unveils their cars for the 2020 NTT IndyCar Series. Max Chilton is returning to the NTT IndyCar Series. Aaron Reutzel captures the checkered flag at Thursday’s DIRTcar Nationals. The RUSH Late Model Series adds a track for 2020 and tons of sponsor news including Tony Stewart Racing, Richard Petty Motorsports and Rudolph Motorsports.
ARCA Cars Hit Track For Two Practice Sessions:
- The ARCA Series took to the high-banks of Daytona International Speedway on Friday in preparation for Saturday’s Lucas Oil 200 Driven by General Tire. Plenty of eyes in the racing world will be on 18-year-old Hailie Deegan, who is moving up to ARCA after driving Late Models. Deegan was the fastest in the first practice, turning a fast lap of 49.027-seconds (183.572 MPH) in the DGR Crosley Ford Mustang. In the Twitter posting below she talks about drafting at Daytona:
“That was crazy.” 🤯
— ARCA Menards Series (@ARCA_Racing) February 7, 2020
Arrow McLaren SP Unveils 2020 IndyCar Livery:
- Arrow McLaren SP unveiled their cars for the 2020 NTT IndyCar Series and drivers Pato O’Ward and Oliver Askew and used their social media platforms to do it:
— Arrow McLaren SP (@ArrowMcLarenSP) February 7, 2020
Max Chilton And Gallagher Returning To Carlin Racing:
- Carlin Racing announced the return of driver Max Chilton and sponsor Gallagher to the Chevy-powered NTT IndyCar Series team. Chilton will be in the cockpit of the No. 59 Gallagher Carlin Chevrolet for the 12 road and street course events in 2020 as well as the 104th Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge. Gallagher is a leading global insurance brokerage, risk management and consulting services firm.
Aaron Reutzel Grabs All Star Circuit of Champions Win Thursday Night In Florida:
- Aaron Reutzel took home the checkered flag in Thursday nights All-Star Circuit of Champions DIRTcar Nationals win at Volusia Speedway Park. The victory was Reutzel’s 26th of his career and first-ever at Volusia. Defending World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series champion Brad Sweet finished second followed by Ian Madsen, Donny Schatz and James McFadden.
Tony Stewart Racing And Advance Auto Parts Expand Partnership:
- Tony Stewart and Tony Stewart/Curb-Agajanian Racing (TSR) are pleased to announce that Advance Auto Parts, a leading automotive aftermarket parts provider that serves both professional installers and do-it-yourself customers, will continue its role within TSR in 2020 boosting its position to a primary sponsor. Advance and its family of brands, including Advance Professional, Carquest and TechNet Professional Automotive Service, will be primary partners for TSR during the new year and will be carried by 10-time World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series Champion Donny Schatz, and Tony Stewart Racing team-owner, Tony Stewart.
Air Force Returns To Sponsor Bubba Wallace And Richard Petty Motorsports:
- Richard Petty Motorsports (RPM) and the United States Air Force will once again join forces for the 2020 NASCAR Cup Series (NCS) season. For the 12th consecutive season, the U.S. Air Force Recruiting Service, charged with the mission to inspire, engage and recruit future Airmen, will continue the partnership with the No. 43 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE driven by Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr. in the NASCAR Cup Series. The No. 43 Chevy will again display the iconic teeth of the A-10 Warthog for the second consecutive year. The special U.S. Air Force “Warthog” scheme debuted at the Daytona International Speedway in 2019, and was an instant favorite among fans.
NEWS: RPM Continues to Aim High with U.S. Air Force
— Richard Petty Motorsports (@RPMotorsports) February 7, 2020
RUSH Late Models Adds Bradford Speedway to 2020 Schedule:
- The RUSH Lates Model announced that Bradford Speedway is returning to the schedule for 2020:
Excited to announce the addition of Bradford to our 2020 Tour schedule. Bradford will join w/ @OutlawSpeedPR & Genesee making for a 3-night northern swing May 29-31. Bradford's will be a Platinum Event on Sunday, May 31 & the first time since the only Tour race back in 2017! pic.twitter.com/rA7YDWmfvH
— RUSH Late Models (@RUSHLM) February 7, 2020
Rudolph Motorsports Brew House Racing Continues Partnership:
- Rudolph Motorsports Brew House Racing has announced that Around Back Restaurant is returning as a partner for the 2020 season. Around Back Restaurant joins Pittsburgh Board and Brush and the Gibsonia Giant Eagle who are also partnering with the team. Chris Rudolph took to his social media accounts to announce the good news:
We are happy to announce that Around Back Restaurant has returned as a partner for 2020. If your looking for a place for dinner or drinks with friends stop out and see these folks. The food here is awesome !! See the website for menu and location. https://t.co/QO5OfmaD44 pic.twitter.com/HqtVFSVIFq
— Chris Rudolph (@rudyracer25) February 7, 2020
GMC Hummer EV Partners With Chip Ganassi Racing’s Extreme E Entry
LONDON, ENGLAND (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – GMC is partnering with Chip Ganassi Racing (CGR) on the team’s Extreme E program, which makes its debut in April.
CGR’s 550-horsepower electric SUV, which features a unique grille, graphics and bodywork, was inspired by the GMC HUMMER EV, the world’s first all-electric supertruck.
“I can’t think of a better fit than showcasing the look of GMC’s HUMMER EV in Extreme E with Chip Ganassi Racing,” said Jim Campbell, General Motors U.S. vice president, Performance and Motorsports. “Both GMC HUMMER EV and the Extreme E series are designed to be revolutionary – to challenge perceptions of electric vehicles and to showcase their true capability.”
“It’s truly an honor to represent GMC, especially during such an exciting time in auto racing,” said team owner Chip Ganassi. “The new GMC HUMMER EV is going to be a game changer in terms of how the world views off-road EV capability, and we couldn’t be more proud to represent GMC in such an innovative new series.”
Sara Price and Kyle LeDuc are CGR’s pair of drivers in the series, which will highlight the impact of climate change and human activity in some of the world’s most remote locations while promoting sustainability and the adoption of electric vehicles to help protect the planet.
“We feel very proud to welcome GMC and its iconic GMC HUMMER EV to the Extreme E family, as it joins forces with our Chip Ganassi Racing team,” said Alejandro Agag, founder and CEO of Extreme E. “Not only will Extreme E be a thrilling motorsport, it will also showcase the performance and benefits of electric vehicles.”
Extreme E 2021 Calendar:
Desert X Prix: AlUla, Saudi Arabia: April 3-4, 2021
Ocean X Prix: Lac Rose, Senegal: May 29-30, 2021
Arctic X Prix: Kangerlussuaq, Greenland: August 28-29, 2021
Amazon X Prix: Para, Brazil: October 23-24, 2021
Glacier X Prix: Patagonia, Argentina: December 11-12, 2021
Reservations are being accepted for select trims of GMC’s new supertruck, the 2022 GMC HUMMER EV, which will launch with initial production this fall. The HUMMER EV will be a fully electric addition to GMC’s portfolio powered by General Motors’ new Ultium battery system. The HUMMER EV Edition One will offer a three-motor e4WD propulsion system with GM-estimated best-in-class 1,000 horsepower and a GM-estimated 11,500 lb-ft of torque.
PPG To Sponsor Team Penske’s Scott McLaughlin And Austin Cindric
MOORESVILLE, NC (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – Pittsburgh headquartered PPG Industries is expanding their partnership with Team Penske.
PPG – a global manufacturer of paints, coatings, and specialty materials – will be featured as the primary sponsor on the No. 3 Team Penske Dallara/Chevrolet driven by Scott McLaughlin for 10 races during the 2021 NTT INDYCAR SERIES season.
“PPG is a global, industry-leading brand that has been a terrific partner with Team Penske for more than three decades,” said team owner Roger Penske. “Our relationship with PPG has continued to grow and reach across all areas of our business. We are excited about the newest racing opportunity in our partnership as PPG teams up with the No. 3 team and Scott for his first full season competing in the NTT INDYCAR SERIES.”
“The relationship with Team Penske has been extremely successful for PPG, both on and off the track,” said Bill Shaw, PPG director, strategic accounts, automotive refinish. “We are excited to add another chapter to our history with Scott McLaughlin and the No. 3 PPG Dallara/Chevrolet team. Scott has proven himself to be one of the most talented racecar drivers in the world, and we know success in his new opportunity with the team is just around the corner. PPG is excited to be a part of that.”
McLaughlin made his NTT INDYCAR SERIES debut when he raced for Team Penske in the 2020 season finale at the Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg. The 27-year-old native of Christchurch, New Zealand, will embark on a new challenge this season as he transitions to open-wheel racing with a full-season INDYCAR program following an incredibly successful four-year run with the DJR Team Penske Supercars program, helping secure three team championships and winning the driver’s title in each of the last three seasons.
“It is surreal to think my first full season in the INDYCAR SERIES is almost here,” said McLaughlin. “I am truly living out my dreams and to have PPG on board as our primary partner is amazing. I watched the beautiful blue and white PPG cars compete over the last few years, and they look amazing on track. It is going to be an honor to represent PPG in the No. 3 Team Penske Dallara/Chevrolet this season.”
Now it’s feeling real! So excited to announce that @PPGRefinish_NA will be my primary sponsor for 10 races in 2021. Very cool to be a piece of the 37 year history between PPG and @Team_Penske ! @TeamChevy #INDYCAR pic.twitter.com/WENgtC5ENF
— Scott McLaughlin (@smclaughlin93) January 25, 2021
In addition to the partnership with McLaughlin and the No. 3 team in 2021, PPG will also continue to serve as a sponsor for Team Penske’s NASCAR Xfinity Series program with 2020 series champion Austin Cindric. Cindric will pilot the No. 22 PPG Ford Mustang in races this season at the Daytona Road Course, Homestead-Miami Speedway, Mid-Ohio and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Road Course.
Locally, PPG is the naming rights holder for the Penguins PPG Paints Arena and this year the PPG logo is on the helmets of Penguins players.
Indy Autonomous Challenge Race Car Unveiled
INDIANAPOLIS, IN (Pittsburgh Racing Now) – The world’s first high-speed, head-to-head autonomous race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway will feature Dallaras as the race cars.
Energy Systems Network (ESN) and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IMS) this week unveiled the official race car that will be autonomously driven by scores of university teams in the Indy Autonomous Challenge (IAC) at the Racing Capital of the World on Oct. 23, 2021.
Dallara has been the sole racecar supplier of the Indy Lights series since 2002, and now the modified Dallara IL-15 is the official IAC racecar.
“Dallara is the best racecar engineering company in the world, yet designing the chassis for autonomous racing was really challenging,” explained Stefano dePonti, CEO and general manager of Dallara USA. “Dallara loves innovation and technological challenges, and we share the IAC’s passion for education and motorsports.”
“The Dallara-built IAC racecar is the most advanced, fastest autonomous vehicle ever developed,” stated Paul Mitchell, president and CEO of ESN, and co-organizer of the IAC. “Our IAC sponsors are providing radar, lidar, optical cameras and advanced computers, bringing the value of each vehicle to $1 million.”
One of the teams competing in the challenge is the Panther AV RAS-ing team from the Swanson School of Engineering at the University of Pittsburgh.
Panther AV RAS-ing is part of more than 500 undergraduate and graduate students, PhDs and mentors who excel in artificial intelligence software that have responded to the challenge. The challengers represent 39 universities in 11 countries on four continents and 14 U.S. states.
The IAC is scheduled for October 23, 2021, at the IMS, with a qualifying simulation race during the Indy 500 week in May. The total IAC prize purse is $1.5 million: $1 million awarded to the winning team of the October IAC race, and an additional $500,000 for winners of the hackathons and simulation races.
“The IAC is going to bring the best minds from around the world to solve a very complex problem, right here at the Racing Capital of the World,” said IMS President J. Douglas Boles. “As the birthplace of motorsports’ innovation, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is a fitting setting for this event, and we can’t wait to see the winning entry cross the Yard of Bricks into history.”
Two companies headquartered in Western Pennsylvania are sponsors of the event. Ansys, a global leader in engineering simulation that is headquartered in Canonsburg, and Aptiv, an autonomous vehicle company who is relocating from O’Hara Township to Hazelwood Green.